3M Hi Tack Cement

Boomer57

Registered
This product's an oldie but it is still the real deal! It's now called "Hi Tack Gasket Cement" but it works extremely well as a weatherproof trim cement on most all of a car's surfaces. I have used it to; rebond the top-most wrap-around leather trim on my door panel to it's backing, smooth some pesky rear window seal ripples, attach loose rubber weatherstripping, and to secure the large door gasket on our dishwasher. This stuff sets up pretty quickly and sticks like grim death!!!
A word of caution, the cement is extremely gooie (?) like pizza cheese, and it takes a strong solvent to remove it, so use care to avoid smears, drips and runs. If you do get some on your cars surfaces REMOVE IT WHILE IT'S WET, once it dries it's time for a scraper! A small tube ($3) would be a good addition to any toolbox.

RE: 3M Hi Tack Cement

Boomer
Any chance giving us a walk-through of what you did to prep and place this adhesive? Will it work on my rear window "lasagna" seal?

RE: 3M Hi Tack Cement

Scott, my rear seal just started to blister so I didn't have a large area to repair, only a couple of inches. The cement will hold the seal down flat (rather than domed) against the body, and it's mustard colored, so it may not look good over a large area. How about trying one of the black heavy duty RTV silicones (Permatex etc.). They're thick enough to keep the domed shape of the seal without oozing out, and should stick pretty good. The only prep that I did was to run a dry rag under the seal to remove any dirt or dust. Good luck!

Back