How to detect hail damage?

M

MonsterMark

Anybody know a slick way to detect hail damage on a car besides a visual inspection for large pockmarks. Sometimes I see cars that look straight but then from a certain angle, usually at night with headlights on 'em, you can see thousands of little dimples on the skin.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

RE: How to detect hail damage?

The only way I know is by visual inspection. And be extremlly cautions of this when inspecting a plane. Most of the skins on a plane are stretched tight enough that they barely dimple at all if it was a light case of hail. Just take your time and look it over.

This will sound silly, but park next to a house with white siding. It's how I noticed just how badly my GT got assaulted. :( The reflections from the horizontal lines of the siding will make any and all imperfections very noticeable.

This will sound silly, but park next to a house with white siding. It's how I noticed just how badly my GT got assaulted. :( The reflections from the horizontal lines of the siding will make any and all imperfections very noticeable.

Now THAT's a good idea! I find it does always help to park next to something and see how the reflection plays off the paint, it always brings out the imperfections. i never thought of a house with white siding though, that would be perfect. You'd see just about everything.

A note of caution: If you already own the car DON'T do this. You'll only kick yourself in the arse for it. Just go on thinking it looks good, because nobody else sees the imperfections either.

Amen to your word of caution. It brings out the dings and such so well, that I wasn't even looking for the damage, I had just gotten out of my car and glanced at the roof as I was exiting it. We had just had a rash of violent storms (this was when I was living in Illinois) and as soon as I saw the reflections, my gut clinched. Not a pleasant moment.

One of my Marks was on the side of the highway once and from an angle from behind, I saw thousands of dimples. If I wasn't already vomiting, I would have vomited.:+ With all the hail storms lately, one can't be too careful.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

Back