clear coat baked... suggestions?

NHSPIKE

Registered
the subject is the message!

areas of "really gone" (small) and other areas where previous owner decided to "nu-finish" the paint, and it ended up dull and buffed into scratchness.

is maaco the only answer?

spikey

RE: clear coat baked... suggestions?

Yo, spike!

Where in concord are you at?? I live in Northwood about 20 min east and am in town every day for work.

About your problem, I dont really know what to tell you, except I dont think I would bring my Lawn mower to Maaco for paint. I would take it to a real, reputable body shop and see what they have to say about it.

Hey Spikey - What year and color car is your car? What have you done to it already e.g. wash, wax, machine buff, clay bar etc.? Have you had the car professionally detailed? If so, did it make any difference? I Agree with Kev on Macco. You can do many things for a paint job that is showing it is age but a bad/cheap paint job will always be a bad/cheap paint job.

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry I haven't been back online for a while, my computer has been giving me fits!
hehehe
Sokay though, I had time to put in a CD player, and some real speakers, so the internet was on the back burner anyhow.
:D
It's a 94 Continental.
Except for the paint problems, which are relatively minor, the car is mint, I've got 2000 miles on it (so far)in a month, it burns no oil, no transmission fluid... I love it.
I must say, the air-ride suspension is the most incredible thing I've ever had the pleasure of piloting down a road... truely awesome.
So far, no leaks or problems.
I just bought a factory service manual on CD, so diagnosing/fixing should be a rather scientific/fun matter (instead of just taking it to a dealer who'll be eager to separate my dollars from the place near my buttocks where they like to reside).
My previous favorite car was a Taurus SHO.
This car makes that car look & feel like a Honda Civic by comparison (except for some difference in power of course)!
When it rains, or the car has just been waxed, it looks pretty good... it's when it gets dry/dusty that it really starts to look like "what happened to the paint?".
Is there a clearcoat I can spray on? I have access to a "clean place" where I won't have to worry about bugs n stuff...
I actually live in Weare btw... but for most people, Concord is close enough :D
I look forward to your replies, and enjoy the site very much! (now that I can get online again).
spikey

Well, it's a temporary fix, but here's what spikey did:

hehe

-Prep-Sol 3919S solvent (left over from my Fiat restoration project)
-Gloss black spray paint (thin coats, about 4 in total)
-2 bugs (ok, so I didn't do it at work)
-24 hours to cook in the sun while parked at work
-19 dollar buffer, purchased at VIP on sale
-Extra buffer thingies (cuz they were cheap enuff, and I understand the concept of buffing with clean fuzzy stuff as opposed to dirty buffer thingies)
-turtle wax rubbing compound
-turtle wax polishing compound
-5 coats of mother's carnuba wax
-new 3M silver pinstripe (was buffed off/faded... so I did the left and right sides of the car, complete).

Results?

Well, my wife (tough critic, thinks I'm insane, etc.) says my driver's side rear fender probably looks "Too good, cuz the rest of the car ain't perfect"

Good enough!

In fact, so simple and fun to do, I may attack the trunk next!

Good thing it's black!!!!

hehe

Thanks again for the tips/advice.

spikey

Back