best way to cover up scratches?

VladN02

Registered
i got tons of little little little scratches and i want to get rid of them without spending some serious cash on a pain job...
their not very noticable at all, the only time they are is after i buff my car out.

RE: best way to cover up scratches?

The problem is the color of the car - black. The only worse color for showing scratches and chips is medium to dark green IMO. I must say you're probably the only one to notice the scratches though unless they're real bad. I polished the old '91 LSC the other day and noticed every blemish on it! I was getting peeved! But when I was done, everyone else had nothing but compliments. 'Course they weren't pouring over every square inch within arm's reach either.:)

I have a black Mark, and scratches and swirls are the bane of my existence.

On a fling, I picked up a bottle of "Scratch Out". It comes in a yellow, screw-top plastic bottle. I think it was a few bucks at Walmart.

This stuff is the first scratch remover that actually *worked* for me. I had a severely scratched area on my tailpanel, where some genius used a scotchbrite to try to remove some superglue that dripped on there. (Long story). :)

Anyhow, the scotchbrite pad turned that spot FLAT black on an otherwise glossy exterior. I thought it was scratched and scored beyond help. 3 applications of Scratch Out, and you can barely tell it was ever scratched!!

Normal swirls? They are GONE after using this stuff. I highy recommend it.

Also - not the longest lasting wax in the world - but on my old black Gen1 - I used that black colored Turtle Wax - and I was really happy with it. I globbed it on where the scratches were bad and it really helped.

I'm really worried about this. I've never owned a black car before. When you guys talk about scratches, just how bad are they? When I bought mine, the finish was glassy smooth. After a few runs through the car wash, I was getting a lot of tiny scratches (really just marks) just from wiping it down. If this is what you're talking about, how in the world are you supposed to wash the damned thing without scratching it up? I'd assumed that a good wax job would get rid of the scratches, but now I'm worried they're there permanently. So are you guys talking about those kind of all-over scratches or just the random scratch here and there?

Mark,

I can't speak for the others, but yes, I'm talking about the "all over" fine scratches and swirls. These things just happen with dark cars that have not been hand-washed their entire lives...

Welcome to the world of Scratch Out! :D

OK, this is one I have been through! This is what I did. You will need a professional buffer or have to take the car to have it professionally detailed. 1st wsh the car with a heavy concentrate of DAWN dishwashing detergent. Dry it off nicely and apply 3M rubbing compound. WARNING! If you do it by hand you will be taking the car to be professionally detailed to get the sirl marks out. Yes you will get the fine scratches out without any problem, but the swirl marks, escecialy on an black car will eat at you. Then hit it with the 3M wax this you can do by hand, but for the first time after buffing out the compound use the buffer. Hope this helps, check out the link to my sig and you will see pics after I just got the car back from being detailed. Becareful, don't try to find someone that thinks they know how to do it like I did, make sure. I had a friend who though he knew what he was doing, left a ton of swirl marks. Most people would call you crazy to compound a black car but if you have to do it, you have to do it. Good luck

Meguire's puts out a product called "SCRATCH X". I had a few small scatches, but mostly swirl's in my Toreador Red paint. This product worked very well, and now the swirl's and small minute scratches are gone. Cost's about $6.00.:)

Back