Another Clay Bar Story

scotty96lsc

Registered
Following Norm's lead, I went out and used a clay bar on my Mark. WOW! I had no idea that it worked as well as Norm and others have explained. I came home after work yesterday and went for it. 3 hours later my car's finish was as smooth as Chivas Regal on ice. It was like a brand new car finish. I had no idea that much grime and crap can adhere to your paint. The black paint literally jumps when the light hits it.
I used Mother's Clay Bar and followed the directions. Easy, but time consuming. Followed up with a good coat of wax afterwards and done.

RE: Another Clay Bar Story

Leo
By the way your towel worked great in taking off the wax. Runs through the dried wax like a knife.

Gotta love the clay bar :) Personally, I just use it once a year. If my paint was flawless though, I would work a lot harder to keep it that way.

I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself, living in an apartment and all. If I take it to the car wash, bring it home, get a bucket of soapy water and go at it with the clay bar, what should I do about rinsing it off? Should I just fill the bucket up with clean water and use a sponge? Obviously a hose is out of the question. Or should I run it back to the car wash? I'm only about three minutes away. Do I need to rinse it off at all? Can I go straight to the wax?

I know, a lot of stupid questions...

It doesn't take a lot of soapy water just enough to make the application easier. After you apply if and wipe it off with a clean cloth you should wash the car again.

Like I said, just do it when you wash the car, why all the extra steps?

A couple of reasons...

It tends to get expensive, like $1.50 for three minutes of water.

Because it's so busy, they don't look kindly on people hand washing their car, especially if you're not paying to keep the hose running.

I usually use some quick mist detailier - it came in the same box as the mother's bar, and other seem to sell the same way.

Using that, you just use the same stuff to clean it up. I've done it at my apt a few times.

that soap while washing is a great idea. I feel stupid for never trying it.

Scott

I got one from NAPA, but I had to ask for it. They only had it behind the counter for some reason.

Used a clay bar last weekend for the first time.
Nothing special to add,just wanted to chime in on the praises of this product.
It worked excellent on my white car I'm sure a dark color would really "pop" after a treatment.

What happens to the wax after using a clay bar? Do you have to rewax?

You need to wash the car with a harse dishwashing detergent to get the wax off. Then use the clay bar, wash again and wax.

I think this Meguiar's clay here is a good deal.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MEG-C2000.html

The Mother's kit (this one http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html that sells for $17 at our local Wal-Mart) has a 2.8 ounce bar but the Meguiar's deal gives you 8 ounces which is enough to do at least 5 more cars. No detail spray though but I still think it's a much better value unless you really want the instant detail spray too. I used water\dish soap to lube. They sell the Meguiar's at a CarQuest store around here but it is a store that specializes in automotive refinish supply only.
http://carquest.know-where.com/carquest/

That is what I used. Good stuff. Well worth the $17. Now the wife wants me to do her firebird. And some of the other teachers want me to clay bar their cars. And the local police force wants me to do their cars. And the President wants me to do Air Force One. Oh crap, what have I started?

I have also used a clay bar on my car. I bought the car in ST Petersburg and it felt like sandpaper.
After using it, it was smooth as a babys but! :+

Scott,

With an endorsement like that I guess I've got to get some and use it next week before Carlisle. I just hope the humidity goes down some, this is old already and we're just getting started on summer.

Lee

Ok! My spelling is a bit off.
What do you expect after 4 hours and working midnights, BUT the clay bar works.:7
I used one made by Mothers.

Back