Removing Lincoln badge from neon light

M Darrah

Registered
Man, I really wish this forum was in the Mark VIII section. I don't know if it'll even be seen. Anyway...

Does anyone know how the Lincoln badge is attached to the neon light? I got a brand new light off ebay, but it's white and my car is black. The only thing that's going to be a problem is that badge, since it's recessed into the painted metal. I'd prefer to remove it rather than try and mask it. Is it just glued on or something else?

I'm hoping to get it painted this week, since I'm off all week.

(EDIT) Just to be clear, I'm talking about the red star badge, not the Lincoln lettering on the lens.

RE: Removing Lincoln badge from neon light

Just tape it off. That's what they did when they painted mine. As long as they're careful you can't tell.

He *stole* that light! I don't think the auction lasted more than 10 minutes! LOL

Oh you saw that one huh? ;-) Yeah, I got lucky seeing that when I did, and you're right, it was only up for a few minutes. I wasn't about to let it go. To answer your question Paul, I got it for $300 at the "buy it now" price. To make it even sweeter, the guy lives in the Chicago area, so I was able to pick it up the next day.

He works for a Lincoln dealer and he said he'd keep an eye out for any more that come along. I'll be sure to let you guys know.

By the way, I've got ANOTHER one right now that I bought on ebay, but it's in chrome. I bought it thinking the trim was plastic and the chrome would be easy to get off. Turns out it's chrome plated metal and I wasn't comfortable having it painted.

I was going to post it in the classifieds here, but I've yet to even test it, as it's used (the one I got yesterday is brand new). It's nearly perfect cosmetically though. If anyone wants it, I'll part with it for $300 (which is what I paid including shipping).

I just changed the badge on my Neon... I have the Gold package I guess, and I hated it, so i got new ones from the sealership.

By the way, I've got ANOTHER one right now that I bought on ebay, but it's in chrome. I bought it thinking the trim was plastic and the chrome would be easy to get off. Turns out it's chrome plated metal and I wasn't comfortable having it painted.
[/quote]

What shape is the chrome one in and what would you want for it? Is there any moisture inside it or signs of any being in there like dark stains on the reflective backing? I might take a chance on having it painted if it's nice and I can afford it.

I don't know why but I've had problems with dings in mine. I've had Dent Busters remove dings in mine twice and I noticed the other day i have another ding in the trim piece again.

[font color="red"]edit: OK I just read your entire post and I see you have the price listed. Let me think this over and check on painting over the chrome.[/font color="red"]
http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmrk2.jpg

Just for future reference, I managed to pull the badge off. It's stuck on with a gooey foam pad. If you pull it off slowly, it's completely reusable. At least I hope so.

Man, masking this thing was a bitch, with the rubber edge moldings and everything. I understand now why they sell them pre-painted. There are lots of gaps between the trim and the lens where paint can creep under. I just hope the inside of the thing is reasonably airtight, or I may end up with black inside. We'll see after I get it back.

Well I got it back this afternoon, and it looks great. No paint managed to get inside it, and my careful masking paid off. I can finally look at my tail light and not be ambarrassed by all the crud inside.

Now to cut the old one apart and see if it can be refurbished.

Unfortunately, the new light doesn't fit on the trunk lid very well for some reason. See the "NEON LIGHT" thread started by ROCKYTOP in the Electrical forum.

Back