Bad detailing experience (one big picture included)

M Darrah

Registered
Man, am I p'ed off. I thought the word "detail", when it comes to cleaning a car, came from the phrase "attention to detail". Not in this case.

I got my car back today from a place that came highly recommended by several people. I won't divulge the name unless I fail to get satisfaction, but it's in the NW Chicago suburbs. Besides, they've always got Mercedes and Porsches in there, so I (foolishly) figured it must be good.

Anyway, when I came to pick my car up today, it was parked in the garage, out of direct sunlight. It looked pretty darned good, but since everyone raved about them, and I was in a hurry, I gave it a quick once-over, paid my bill and drove off.

It wasn't until I got over to Trixie's house that I got a chance to look at it more closely.

Where should I start?

My main reason for bringing it in was to have them deal with the "spider webbing" and light scratches covering her surface. For the most part, I think they did okay there. The scratches are gone for the most part. But that's about the only positive thing I can say.

The finish, while smooth and glossy, has a certain "plastic" look that I'm more accustomed to seeing in anything from Pontiac with a "Grand" in the name. You know the look I'm talking about. It just looks kind of oily and cheap.

There is wax residue in all the seams, and random residue in spots here and there. And they completely missed removing the wax from the rocker panels! It's just a gray haze down there. The rear bumper's also got a bunch of crap left on it where Jose apparently just kind of whipped the towel at it from a distance.

I had them clean my engine compartment, but left EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS not to spray that oily "dressing" crap on it. I wanted it CLEANED, not oiled up like Mr. Universe! But sure enough, the engine compartment looks like it's been drenched in baby oil. Which means "dust and grime magnet".

Then there's just the general lack of actual "detailing". Door sills just wiped down half-assed, again, looking like someone just gave it a single pass with the same wet towel used to clean the wheel wells of the Explorer a couple of cars over. Chrome molding under the door windows that were wiped down on only the parts they could reach (behind the side mirrors it's still dirty). The rear side windows look like they dried them off with the same towel they used to remove the wax (streaks galore).

Then there's the carpet, which was fairly bad to begin with. I had some serious road salt stains, along with grime on the transmission hump next to the accelerator pedal. Well, as you can see from the picture, it's still dirty next to the accelerator, and you can still see white salt stains around the left foot rest. There's also some salt stains left on the floor in front of the seat.

But the thing that I'm MOST upset about is that they COMPLETELY RUINED my one-month-old OEM floor mats! I just bought two sets in March from Max for $60 a set. I figured I'd have one set for normal summer driving, and one for "show". I'd get a generic set from Pep Boys for the winter. Well, now all I've got is the show set. Because they completely ruined them! They look like they've been scrubbed with a wire brush in a high-speed drill! The edges are all tattered, and there are big clumps of fuzz all over it (hard to see in the pic). Not to mention the fact that it's all "dished" and wavy now. You have to understand: The mats were nearly perfect before these guys got their hands on them. The driver's side mat had a little dirt, but the passenger side had hardly been touched by human feet!

If it weren't for the floor mats, I'd probably just swallow all this and redo everything myself when I get the chance. I was mostly concerned with getting the scratches out, which seems to have been done (I guess we'll see how it looks after a couple of rains). But the floor mat situation just has me furious. The most I'm hoping for a reimbursement for those. Here's the pic:

http://mark8.org/users/M_Darrah/mycar/big/floormat.jpg

Pathetic looking isn't it?

RE: Bad detailing experience (one big picture included)

I would smack who ever recommended them.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I would smack who ever recommended them.
[/div]

Make that a bitch slap. I would really get on thier case about those mats, and about the rest of the car if I paid a lot of money for it.

Did you happen to go to the place on Dundee Rd., just west of 53, on the south side of the street? (It used to be part of a gas station / auto car wash place back in the mid-90s - heck it may not even be there anymore!)

Those guys were HORRIBLE! x(

Did you happen to go to the place on Dundee Rd., just west of 53, on the south side of the street? (It used to be part of a gas station / auto car wash place back in the mid-90s - heck it may not even be there anymore!)Those guys were HORRIBLE! x(
[/div]

Sonic Car Wash. That's not the place, but I know it well, since it's literally two minutes away. It's still there, and cars line up for blocks to get in on weekends. It's a total madhouse. They've perfected the art of assembly-line detailing. In and out in 20 minutes.

I took mine through their auto wash once (separate part from the "detail" service), and nearly had a coronary watching them scrub the sides of my car with those damned brushes before you enter the chamber of horrors. I just wanted to drive off, but there was no way out at that point! That one trip was probably the source of most of my scratches!

Never again!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Did you happen to go to the place on Dundee Rd., just west of 53, on the south side of the street? (It used to be part of a gas station / auto car wash place back in the mid-90s - heck it may not even be there anymore!)Those guys were HORRIBLE! x( [/div]Sonic Car Wash. That's not the place, but I know it well, since it's literally two minutes away. It's still there, and cars line up for blocks to get in on weekends. It's a total madhouse. They've perfected the art of assembly-line detailing. In and out in 20 minutes. I took mine through their auto wash once (separate part from the "detail" service), and nearly had a coronary watching them scrub the sides of my car with those damned brushes before you enter the chamber of horrors. I just wanted to drive off, but there was no way out at that point! That one trip was probably the source of most of my scratches! Never again!
[/div]

SONIC! That's the evil place! I'm sorry to hear that you too have experienced the misfortune of those untrained hands. They did a real number on my old SHO.

Be sure to "name names" if your detailing place doesn't make good on their foul-up.

After seeing your "show" mats, I am in shock. What on earth could have *shredded* your floormats like that?! I hope they do the right thing and reimburse you for the mats. I'd probably decline a free detail if they offer it...

Good luck!

-Scott

Yeah, those mats really looked bad. Hopefully they'll reimburse you for them. I thought your hood looked great though...

Regarding Delta Sonic - I used to have good experiences there when I had them wax the car (well, a good job for the price), but the last few times I've been there I've been really disappointed and have decided not to go there again (not to mention their stupid guy had me stop on the way in to the wash and one of those things for the tires put a ding in my rim).

Mark, for the future...

You need to find a detail place that's small...very small, operated by one or two people, who do no more than 2 cars at a time, make an appointment when YOU can BE there, and watch the procedure. Big detail shops that have many employees, and do several cars at a time are like processing plants, and will do things the fastest way possible. What happened to your mats was that they were tossed into a big commercial washing machine, washed & then went into a dryer. All of this broke the binding (I guess I should say SPLIT the binding) which then became "frayed")... The rubber backing also went thru a torture test, and became weakened, which is why they lay with a rippled look. You probably went to a "Costco" type of detail shop. What you needed was a boutique! Seek one out, when time permits cruise over & eyeball the operation. The smaller the better. If you see BIG washing machines - they are where the floor mats go. 95% of all detail places either use the "blade" to dry or compressed air blowers. No need for washing machines. You need to "visit" before leaving your baby there.

I know it's hard to do, but when you return to have them re-do what they missed, try to stay calm. These folks are not from the ranks of scientists, authors, educators, and clergy. You show anger & threaten physical force, they WILL respond in kind!
Best of luck, I hope it works out much better.

That's no detail shop, Leo ~ THAT'S the I.C.U. at Beth Israel Medical Center!!

(VERY NICE ! BTW)

Done that, saw the entire site! W-O-W - too far for me to go to, darn!
Actually my cars don't need it. They all look like that, as I got them to that level, and do not use them. The T.C. gets done weekly.
Now.....J33P3RS might give them a good workout!! I'd get my dollars worth on that one!

Wow is right Leo. That's one impressive shop.

Alright, lesson learned. Okay, how much should I expect to pay for a good detail? I'm not looking for concourse level, just something I can be proud of for a few days. The car sits outside at night, so it's not like I expect it to be perfect for long.

By the way, I took a few more pics this morning. God, they're just awful. I may throw them in a directory later.

I intend to get over there later this afternoon. Like I said, I'll be happy if they just reimburse me for the mats.

I work cheaper!! 12-Pac R/C Cola, and she'll be ready for ANY car show !!

Oops, just checked. Illinois IS a little far for you....Sorry ::uh::

I work cheaper!! 12-Pac R/C Cola, and she'll be ready for ANY car show !!Oops, just checked. Illinois IS a little far for you....Sorry ::uh::
[/div]

I'm half tempted to drive out anyway Sandy. Get that leaf blower ready!

Update: The manager gave me $75 back and offered to redo the carpet "himself" for me. He admitted that the mats got screwed up by throwing them in the drier. He promised to pay for the mats in addition to the $75. That's assuming I can still get them.

I'll probably pass on his offer to do the carpet again though. Too much hassle to leave it there anyway. I'll be checking for advice on REAL detail shops over at autopia.org. I joined a while back, but I think I've only posted once.

Hi Leo
What does a full detail job go for , at Mineola ?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]I work cheaper!! 12-Pac R/C Cola, and she'll be ready for ANY car show !!Oops, just checked. Illinois IS a little far for you....Sorry ::uh:: [/div]I'm half tempted to drive out anyway Sandy. Get that leaf blower ready!Update: The manager gave me $75 back and offered to redo the carpet "himself" for me. He admitted that the mats got screwed up by throwing them in the drier. He promised to pay for the mats in addition to the $75. That's assuming I can still get them.I'll probably pass on his offer to do the carpet again though. Too much hassle to leave it there anyway. I'll be checking for advice on REAL detail shops over at autopia.org. I joined a while back, but I think I've only posted once.
[/div]

Sounds like a great guy!

Glad they're taking care of that for you Mark. You'll have to check out my car on May 12 and see what you think of it. I love how my shop details my car, but for some reason, Hubby doesn't like it (however, he may just not like the expense of it-he thinks Delta Sonic does a great job). ::uh::

Wow now thats a good end to the story. If this happened to me they would probably tell me that the mats were like this b4 and that i should get the hell out of there and stop harrasing them. ::nono::

Back