3M clear vinyl "bra"

sleeper

Former LOD President
What do y'all think of this stuff? I'd buy the deluxe kit.

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=2714

I'm looking for something to protect the front end of my car, and this is what i found. Also, it's a good idea to watch what you click when you do a search for "clear auto bra" at work. Hopefully i don't get any flak from anyone watching my internet access (although that site should have been blocked).

RE: 3M clear vinyl "bra"

Personally i think $113 for a little bit of Tape is alot of money. But i've heard that stuff really works, and it doesn't look as ugly as those "Black bras". But after a while (2-3 years) you will see that the paint protected by that stuff will have a little different shade than the rest of your car since it blocks out some of the sun rays.

I was researching that stuff a while back and couldn't find a bad thing said about it. The detailing freaks over at autopia.org love it. Some guys claim to have had the stuff on for five years with no problems. I've seen the pictures, and you can't tell it's there.

I get the impression it's best to have it professionally installed, as it's about like doing window tinting.

That kit in your link has more stuff than most, but it doesn't have anything for the front of the bumper, only the top and bottom. Maybe the front is too complex. There are shops that will do a custom job, using the raw film and a razor blade. :eek: That's something I'd definitely leave to a professional, but of course it'll cost you.

The only caviat is that if you have the front end repainted before you put the stuff on (I assume you would), you have to wait for the paint to fully cure. . . which means it's vulnerable to more chips in the meantime. Small touchups are OK, but they'll probably peel off if you ever remove the film.

Think that stuff could be made to go behind the wheel wells or on the rocker panel pain? Those areas are dying on my 94, and I'd like to keep it from happening again after the repaint.

I've had the 3M shield put on a few cars. It can be put on just about anywhere if you have the right installer do the job. The area behind the wheel wells is always one of the places I have the stuff put on. The key is you have to find an installer who is very familiar w/the stuff. It is 10 times more difficult than window tint, especially the large pieces like the whole bumper.

I had a GoldWing Trike built and had the 3M film put on the rear fenders from the Trike Kit factory. For the most part it worked ok, did not yellow and looked good the day I sold the Trike, however it did get chipped... even thru the 3M. The warranty from 3M was basically a pro-rated for time in use, filed a claim and got next to nothing, would not paid to have it re-applied, much less repainting and new 3M.
Installing can be a real pain and best left to the experienced.
Rex
98 White Pearlescent LSC / 2004 Mysti Cobra Vert
http://www.mark8.org/users/pvteye/98LSC032a.jpg

I had it put on my BMW. I came from BMW and I dont know if it was 3M, but it was $200 and is working great!

Back