Clay Bar

flynfrog

Registered
keeping a good coat of wax on there will help make it easier next time. keeping your car clean will also help.

next time you clay bar try a pollish then a wax and mothers gold glass looks good but is supper hard to use imo try clearkotes carnuba moose wax over top of there vanila moose the wet look you will get will be amazing

or meguiers #9 then #7 then #16 wax also gives awsome results and you can mix and match

check out www.autopia.org

another reason to polish after claying is that if you look your clay may have left tinny scratches in the paint not such a big deal on a silver car but on a black car like mine they are verry noticable

id say your off to a good start but to realy make your car stand out you need an inbetween step
30772_127_full.jpg
my car with clap dacp #9 swirl remover #7 glaze Vanila moose carnuba moose and s100 yes i know its dirty i hit alot of bugs that night

RE: Clay Bar

The first time I used a clay bar was a year ago when I first bought my Mark. It had a gritty feel to the paint. What a difference as you found out. Smooth as a baby's butt. Now I just keep a good coat or two of Meguires NXT wax. Great wax by the way.
I've done three cars since and I swear by the clay bar. It takes time, but well worth it.

Actually, smoother than a baby's butt!!! Now, I've started the business car...a 97 Gran Marquis. But NOT all in one day. I'll do a section at a time. Started with the trunk..this car was never covered and that damn ( but beautiful shade tree) sap is all over it.

110,000 miles of road grime on this one. 70,000 in the last 3years since I've had it. Should look nice when done. If it looks as good as it still runs, I'll be more than happy. That clay is something else.

The tree is one of those fast growing Hybrid Poplar's. The leaves on it are huge, providing shade for the whole house...got 2 of these out front. Sure keeps the air conditioning bill down, but for those two weeks in the spring...... Yuck! It isn't actually sap, but a sticky residue from the "seeds" that drop for probigation. Soft and sticky for a day or 2, then turns to concrete. I park my truck a block away for those two weeks.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'92 F250 Banks TurboDiesel Bimini Blue
http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/charlespytko/Lincoln/BudPytko97LSC.JPG

"First of all a clay bar is not really good for removing sap and such things as bird droppings or baked on bug juices. The best thing for sap is tar remover, it will get it right off."

Leo, I know you've done this a lot more than me, but tar remover didn't touch this stuff. And verbatem from the carton that the clay came in " Clay Magic leaves your finish as smooth as glass; while removing surface contaminants such as: paint overspray - tree sap - bug residue - Industrial fallout" Many, many passes were needed to remove what I had on this car. But gladly, whether it should or shouldn't be used for my problem, it's done, I used the clay and it worked!! What more could ya want?

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost

why would you dawn wash that old wax will be removed by the clay bar and polish to me dawn is a step back not foraward

I mean no disrespect but why would i want to remove my wax to put more on. From my understading this is only nessisary with zanio

as some one who paints cars i dont recomend a dawn wash ever we usaly tell people to use a good car wash like meguiers gold class

after a clay and a polish there should be little to no wax on the car any? Please correct me if im wrong

I respect Leo and his trophys but i also detail build and paint cars for a living and it never hurts to question the experts

Clay Bar

Yesterday I washed, clay bar'ed and waxed the Mark! Started about 9AM, broke for a quick lunch at noon and finished up about 3PM. This was the first time the car had been clay bar'ed. I had a lot of tree sap spots on the top, trunk and hood and looks like I was able to remove all of the sap but one spot on the rear of the top. Dang, but I can't get all of that one off, but it IS greatly reduced. I am really pleased (except for the really sore 65 year old shoulders) with the results. Looks great for an auto within 5,000 miles of 100K. Today wife is cleaning and protecting the seats with Meguiars leather cleaner protecter. I used their Gold Class liquid car wax on the body too. Looks great today and will keep you informed on how it holds up.

Those of you that have already used the clay on their cars, please tell me that the next time will be easier!! I now have a car cover for the spring and that damn sap!! Oh, the clay worked great on the glass too!! No more wiper bounce!

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost

After I first clayed the Mark VIII, I clayed my Dad's then-new '03 GMC Sierra 1500 p/u. I was shocked at the amount of garbage that came off the paint, the clay turned brown from the rail dust and such, and the color looked brighter after I was finished. It's neat stuff for sure.

WD 40 works well for removing tree sap and tar also. When I used to have to park under pine trees here in GA, I also found that gum spirits of turpentine worked well also.

Pine sap can drop off on your car in globs far too large to try to rub off with clay bar. You've got to find something that will disolve it.

Back