Rust under the hood.

Raziel Kayne

Registered
Has anyone ever attempted to clean under the hood? For example, washing away all the grime, rust, and other unattractive mess?

RE: Rust under the hood.

Raz,
You gotta start sometime...just be careful if you use high pressure water...be careful where you aim it. Many have had problems with spark miss after pressure washing. I used WISK and an engine brush to do mine the first time and a hose without the nozzle to rinse. Buy a round parts (paint) brush so you can dunk it into the cleaner and just start putting it on, let it soak in and work a bit and then scrub. Rinse it with a water hose and keep at it until you are satisified. After it drys, protect your work with a decent car wax...use a cleaner wax first ...on the painted surfaces. Now that I've started this, I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite
tricks too....good luck.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'92 F250 Banks TurboDiesel Bimini Blue
http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/charlespytko/Lincoln/BudPytko97LSC.JPG

i have used simple green to clean it. I've found that's the easiest way. Soak everything in simple green, let it sit a minute, then hose off. Then go back and hit whatevers left with a scrub brush and more simple green.

if you get a miss after washing it, you just have to pull off the spark plug wires and let them dry out. putting some dielectric grease on there should prevent the miss even if they do get wet.

One thing for sure, after your get it clean, you do NOT want to use that "elephant snot" protectant that the professional (?) detailers use to make the engine compartment look "shiny & new" (especially for used car lots). That stuff attracts dirt & grime quickly and your detailing job will look like crap in weeks!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
One thing for sure, after your get it clean, you do NOT want to use that "elephant snot" protectant that the professional (?) detailers use to make the engine compartment look "shiny & new" (especially for used car lots). That stuff attracts dirt & grime quickly and your detailing job will look like crap in weeks!
[/div]

Elephant Snot!! ROFL :7

Back