Question about wax

apbpetey

Registered
Okay so my brother hit a deer with the Navigator. Had to have the front bumper replaced and few other minor things like the front plastic strip under the bumper replaced.

The guy that did the work is awsome and has been doing body work for over 30yrs. My question is he said that waxing isn't good for the paint. He gave me this stuff in a spray bottle that he said I should use after i wash the car and not to wax it.

Has anybody ever heard of this? This is the first time I have heard that wax is bad for the paint. He has restored numerous old cars and nevers uses wax on them. They look brand new still after 5+ years.

RE: Question about wax

You misunderstood him. What he was trying to tell you was not to wax NEW paint. Wait at least 30 days for the paint to cure before waxing it. You can use soap and water, but don't rub anything on it.

I have heard the same thing before about never waxing a car. I was many years ago though. The only thing I can think of is that he might be old school from the days before clear coat. Perhaps wax was bad for the really old paint on cars. The only other thing I can think of is the abrasives in car polishes. Most new waxes have cleaners in them as well. Perhaps these cleaners scratch and slowly wear down the clarcoat causing the paint to go bad? I dunno, just a guess.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

I don't think Sandy ever endorsed Pledge for the paint, but it does work great on the leather.

Back