Mark VIII Headlights

cordobarod

Registered
Mark VIII seem dim compared to others. Are there higher light output bulbs to replace the standard 9005 and are the same 55 or so wattage so it won't trigger the warning message?

RE: Mark VIII Headlights

Gen 1 headlights just suck, there's no way around it. Your best bet is to go and buy new headlight housings. They will be decent for a year or two and then get dim again. The problem isn't in the bulb, it's in the yellowing of the lens, and in the reflective material. The bulb is already too hot and burns the reflective material off the inside of the housing, which make the lights suck.

An alternative is to aim the lights down a little and always use high beams. The high beams suffer from the same problems though, so if you use them a lot, they'll start to suck too.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Gen 1 headlights just suck, there's no way around it. Your best bet is to go and buy new headlight housings. They will be decent for a year or two and then get dim again. The problem isn't in the bulb, it's in the yellowing of the lens, and in the reflective material. The bulb is already too hot and burns the reflective material off the inside of the housing, which make the lights suck.An alternative is to aim the lights down a little and always use high beams. The high beams suffer from the same problems though, so if you use them a lot, they'll start to suck too.
[/div]

I would guess that if one were to get the cooler (and brighter) running HIR bulbs that one could get new housings and have them last a lot longer.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Gen 1 headlights just suck, there's no way around it. Your best bet is to go and buy new headlight housings. They will be decent for a year or two and then get dim again. The problem isn't in the bulb, it's in the yellowing of the lens, and in the reflective material. The bulb is already too hot and burns the reflective material off the inside of the housing, which make the lights suck.An alternative is to aim the lights down a little and always use high beams. The high beams suffer from the same problems though, so if you use them a lot, they'll start to suck too.[/div]I would guess that if one were to get the cooler (and brighter) running HIR bulbs that one could get new housings and have them last a lot longer.
[/div]

How much do new housings cost and where to get the best deal assuming the HIR bulbs are no problem to obtain.

Thanks Orm

93 Dark Green
95 Pearl Beige

Don't know what an HIR bulb is. I think he means HID, in which case you can't really put them in stock housings, and to find an HID setup for a gen 1, you're looking at a bit over a grand, probably.

Don't know the price of the stock housings off the top of my head, but they should only be a hundred bucks per side, give or take. Gen 2 housings are 200-250 a side, and they come with a $100+ HID bulb included. But they won't fit a gen 1.

Here's some talk about HIR bulbs:http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24397&mesg_id=24397&page=Don't know anything about them myself, but they look interesting.Common practice in the past has been to install driving lights in the grill to get decent light output. Or just buy a gen 2. :D
[/div]

I've got the HIR bulbs in my Mark, and they are definitely brighter.

You learn something new every day.

That's a cool new way to make halogen bulbs.

I plan on HIRs in the high beam position with a relay kit along with the HID upgrade.

Back