Safely Removing Pinstripes?

RE: Safely Removing Pinstripes?

If they're vinyl, you can pull them off by hand and clean it up with some goof-off, but you might have some paint discoloration. The paint under the pinstrip won't be faded like the rest of the car, and depending on the condition of your paint, it may or may not be noticeable.

If they're painted on, you need to carefully wet-sand them off with very fine grit sandpaper, being careful not to go through the clearcoat on the surrounding paint. Then you will have to use rubbing compound to get rid of the scratches from the sandpaper. The comments above about fading still apply, and it's a time-consuming process.

Are they generally painted on?

BILL

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
If they're vinyl, you can pull them off by hand and clean it up with some goof-off, but you might have some paint discoloration. The paint under the pinstrip won't be faded like the rest of the car, and depending on the condition of your paint, it may or may not be noticeable.If they're painted on, you need to carefully wet-sand them off with very fine grit sandpaper, being careful not to go through the clearcoat on the surrounding paint. Then you will have to use rubbing compound to get rid of the scratches from the sandpaper. The comments above about fading still apply, and it's a time-consuming process.
[/div]

How much did it cost if you do not mind me asking?
[/div]

Nothing over the cost of the complete detail. I think it runs around $150.

I removed a set of initials from my '94 when i got it, no fading then. It was only 5 years old at the time though, and the stripes weren't that old.

There are no "factory" pin stripes, most are done by the dealer. Around here, most are painted on, there are a couple of guys that go around and do them at all the dealers. They do a good job too, but pinstripes don't look good on a mark. There are also vinyl pin stripe kits out there, so who knows. It's pretty easy to tell what they are by looking at them though.

Removed them on Sunday with a heat gun and a razor. No scratches! Took forever to get the remaining glue off. No noticible paint fade. I might hit it with some polishing compound when it warms up. Looks much better.

I'm not sure I had enough courage to remove my own, let alone with a razor! Glad it turned out good for you. :)

Is there any way to safely remove the factory pinstripes on these cars?Regards,BILL
[/div]

If the stripes are vinyl, you can pickup a rubber erasure wheel at your local body shop paint supply store. Connect it to your cordless drill and see how quickly they come off!

Back