I did the headlight restore today and...

scotty96lsc

Registered
I had nothing to do today since the impending rain was preventing me from going golfing, so I decided to clean my dingy headlights. So I followed CVRefuge's directions and hit the left headlight with 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet/dry sandpaper. All the time keeping my headlight wet to lessen the sanding trauma. I finished and BOY it looked a lot worse -- like looking through a beer glass covered in vaseline. Scared myself.
Then I remembered you then had to use a plastic polish. Ok, and hour later it got better, another half hour and it looked great. I had no idea lightly sanding that headlight would make it cloudy. I thought for sure I was going to be buying a passenger side headlight.
Again, my repair/mechanical skills are usually limited to prying tops off of imported beer. WHEW!!:eek:

RE: I did the headlight restore today and...

What polish did you use? I used Blue Magic metal polish.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
What polish did you use? I used Blue Magic metal polish.
[/div]

Would a metal polish work better than a plastic window polish? I've got one light looks like it's wet, oooh so nice. Then for some reason the other is sort of foggy, makes me think it had some body work done...! I just can't seems to get the light to be like the other. I'm starting to think it's on the inside, which would suck after doing all this work...I've used a power drill backing plate w/ a wool pad and some plastic window stuff, tried the elbow grease and some wet 1400 grit and up sand packs, used Renovo polish...How could I tell if it's on the inside?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Would a metal polish work better than a plastic window polish?
[/div]

I just used elbow grease and the Blue Magic. It's good for silver, gold, etc... worked for me. Remember though, mine is a Gen1.

Here is the original thread:
http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...opic_id=1019&mesg_id=1019&listing_type=search

I used BlueMagic Plexiglass cleaner and then a little Brasso, which I use on my tail pipes, at the end of the job. I didn't have the other metal polish. I figured if it was good for watch crystals then it would be ok for the lens. I thought about pics but then my headlight looks almost as good as the ones in the thread above.
And to answer my snow-bound friend Sharon, Tammy was busy but warned me what would happen if I used sandpaper on plastic. Damn, she is ALMOST always right.:B

Back