1998 Mercury Mystique - LS Sport

N

Neilster

I'm in the process of looking for a car for my Mom (79 and still going strong). She currently has a 1997 Sunfire, but it's a base car and she needs power windows and something that doesn't sit so low.
We found a 1998 Mercury Mystique LS Sport yesterday. Fully loaded, V6, leather power seats (a bonus). It's a nicely finished car and had one previous owner. It has about 60K miles on it. I thought it was a pretty good ride. Apparently there are 3 models GS, LS and LS Sport. The base motor is a 4 cylinder which I wouldn't touch. What the 6 cylinders in these things? Do they have a good reputation. Or is this vehicle a Mercury Mistake?

RE: 1998 Mercury Mystique - LS Sport

Well it's a 170-hp, 2.5-liter V-6. Nothing too fancy. Same car as the Ford Contour. It should last for a bit... wouldn't expect much more than 140 k without major probs.

RE: 1998 Mercury Mystique - LS Sport

The better V-6 IMHO is the 24 valve DOHC 3.0L, available in the LS line of Sables. A step up from the Mystique(similar from Ford's Contour vs. Taurus), the better half's Sable(LS Premium) is a good ride with enough amenities she didn't squall too much being ejected from the Mark.:eek: The 200 HP is impressive for a car its size and the fuel mileage is good, I just don't care for the FWD.

Back