Interesting Dash on a 1960 Buick

Alexander

Well-known
Paid Member
A car transport carrier stopped at a local service station to pick up a 1980's Lancia. On board was a red 1960 Buick Invicta convertible. The driver was nice enough to let me take a closer look at this car. He pointed out one of the really interesting features on the car. The instruments other than the clock are seen in a reflecting mirror that faces the driver. All the actual instruments like flat in the dash. Obviously all the numbers and letters including the one for the odometer must be made in mirror image for the driver to see this correctly. I was never aware that Buick did this. Does anyone know in what years Buick used this system and if anyone else used a system like that?

http://www.mark8.org/lod/images/1960buick_dash.jpg

For a picture of an 1960 Buick Invicta nearly identical to the one I saw see: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9198/index44.html .

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

RE: Interesting Dash on a 1960 Buick

It was a Buick exclusive, standard equipment in 1960 & 1961.
"Mirror-Matic Instrumentation"
:) Just ask.....

Sandy, I knew you would know that. :)

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

The Continental from '88 on up till '02 has this feature. If You look up underneath the cutout In the Instrument Panel for the gauges, you'll see that they reflect from above down onto the dash.

Yes, Nick ~ BUT they are NOT driver adjustable for height as were these on the Buicks of 60 & 61.

How were they adjustable? If the seat adjusts up and down, what other adjustments would You need to see It?

The mirrors had a rotating thumb wheel off to the side of the speedo. By rotating this wheel up raised & lowered the main dash instruments. (It was all smoke & mirrors :) )

Back