Wanting to buy Crotch Rocket

Ponyfreak

Registered
Hey peeps, I am thinking of buying a bike. I am wanting soemthing to drive back and forth to work on, when it is not raining or my car is not working or apart. (7 mile drive)

I have never ridden a motorcycle. I am looking for something in the area of 750-1000cc, and something that has the newer flare look of say a Honda CBR900RR or a newer GSX-R 600.
ANyone have any advice that has rode a lot of these bikes? Which bike ahs the better build quality and less vibration? Which ones are semi comfortable to ride? Any imput is apprciated

RE: Wanting to buy Crotch Rocket

I don't ride but have friends that do. They have a bunch of various bikes, but they all agree my friends Katana 750 is the most comfortable. And it falls in the middle of the group on performance, though it is modded.

I agree with Jay on that one.

Although, crotch rockets might be in general a lil uncomfy for you seeing that you are pretty tall. How about a Mark VIII on two wheels? My last bike was a Yamaha FJ-1200...has all the extras like ABS, still looks somewhat sporty, and the engine is smooth as silk...and just as much a sleeper as the Mark is...140HP stock and torque like crazy.

I had many bikes in my life, from A as in Aprilia over B as in BMW to Z as in (Kawasaki) Zephyr ;-), and have to say that the Yamaha was the most comfortable and harmonic bike, but then again, if you are looking at a real crotch rocket, I always loved Suzukis and had a GSX 1100R for a while, which was a great bike besides some bad luck I had with the engine electronics.

Just do me one favor...you said you never rode a bike, and you are looking for a 750-1000ccm...take it slow please, there are many idiots out there on the roads who dont care about us bikers ;-)

Marcus.

Are you insane?? A CBR900RR or a GSXR600 is NOT a newbie bike. I have been racing/riding since I was 5. I road race, drag race, and cross country race motorcycles. I have taught motorcycle training. The CBR900 is a twitchie bike. It wheelies unprovoked....as do most bikes in the 750cc plus supersport family. They aren't "comfy" either. Even being in physical race shape, my 2001 ZX9R was a torture rack to ride around. The GSXR600 is another torture rack. While they do look cool, they produce their power waaaayyyy up in the stratosphere...nothing happens on that bike (no torque, no HP) until 8000-9000rpm. The bike I recommend for you I have recommended to many, and I have not yet had one person who bought one tell me I was wrong. They all tell me what a great choice it was. (experienced and newbies alike). The Suzuki SV650 is the bike I recommend. It OOZES character, has ample power...real world usueable torque..as much or more than the 600 supersports. But above all it is fun to ride. Everytime I ride one, I can't stop smiling. The character comes from the fact that it's a twin. It has the pulse, the rumble, the "feel" of fun. And it sounds sexy to boot! Nothing sounds as yummy as a V-Twin sport bike. And it's light. Has great brakes too! Fuel injection as well...and it's VERY stylish too. LED tailight, huge 290mm twin disc up front. It's cheap too. $6299 brand spanking new. Oh, In case you're wondering...it runs 11's in the 1/4 mile, so it will put the hurt on any car. But above all..get some rider training, and don't give in to buying a big, fast , huge bike becasue it looks "cool". I am experienced enough to own any bike in the world (and exploit it's capabilities too), but I choose a 1000cc V-Twin for my street bike. V-Twins simply make better streetbikes for their useable powerband. But it's the feel and fun of the twins. Trust me...you won't be disappointed!! ~Ron

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2003/2003-suzuki-s6-f-zoom.jpg
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2003/2003-suzuki-s6-d-zoom.jpg

Joe, a better bet would be to get a Harley. I spent my early youth on crotch rockets. They are too dangerous. And this is coming from a guy with a fair amount of experience on these types of bikes.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

As a rider going on 10 years, with street and dirt experience, I echo what RRock said. A sport bike 600 or 900 is a lot of bike. If you want one of those, get a much older one that is down on power. Its not that you can't ride responsibly or control what you've got, its that you've got too much bike for when things get out of control - and they do.

The SV is nice. An older 600 sport bike like an early 90's Ninja or CBR f3 might be ok. I know a lot of people who had FJR 600s and loved them.

Insurance should also be a factor. On a 900 for a new young male rider if you got full coverage it could be $2K a year or more.

Also, sport bikes are not comfortable for long rides. Any of the race reps will be about a hour or so tops unless you replace the seat, at a minimum.

Yamaha and Suzuki tend to be on the edge of design for quick and performance. Honda tends to be a step behind, but lead in build quality and reliability. Kawasaki tends to be behind all of them in design, just slightly behind Honda in reliability, but probably the most comfortable all around.

Those things said, I like the SV as a beginer bike. I also like an older CBR f3 or Ninja ZX 6 (or 600R if you can find one) or a YZF 600R yamaha (Not an R6)

Opinion worth what you paid for it...

Scott

My uncle just grabbed a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic. VERY comfortable bike, and extremely fast. You wont be pulling any wheelies, but I am 6'4" 250 lbs and I was very comfortable on it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping you would read this Ron, I know you are a bike fanatic and a very experienced rider. Iwill go find a Suzuki SV650 and take it for a ride. After I get on one, I might not like them at all. You never know.

Thanx Bryan:
You are correct as usual. Buy a good used Harley friend. Along with
many superior safety factors, coupled with a 90 cubic ince powerhouse
its the real ticket. Ive been riding them since 1946, and theres
nothing "like a Harley" Ask the chicks. (also the insurance companys)
One other thing. A wellkept Harley is like a wellkept woman, It never loses its appeal, and never loses its value.

You will pay a bit more, but I promise it will put a :) on your face.

Ricers are like condems, they provide the basic necessaty, but not the real entertainment. Best< Fuz

I would look into a Buell firebolt. They are sporty and great for a 1st time rider as well as a season one. I am looking into selling my KZ750 after this seaason and will e more than likely geting a firebolt. Check out the website at www.buell.com or go to your local harley dealer. I love the look of the brakes on these bikes. The firebolt and lighting are basically the same bike, but the fireolt has more of a crotch rocket look and seating position. They also come in 2 different ride heights as well.

I want to get a 919 or an FZ1 myself.

My first bike was a 1979 Honda CB750K. I rode it for the first time, never having ridden a bike before, with no helmet, running on two cylinders so i had to rev the hell out of it and ride the clutch. Fun stuff. A very floppy bike by modern standards. It would probably have run in the 13's somewhere at the track, a dog for a bike but still faster than most cars.

I have a friend that bought a SV650S a year or so ago. He likes it a lot. It was his second bike, his first was a Suzuki GS500.

As for starting on a stupidly powerful bike, why not? If you're not stupid enough to get on the power before you can handle it, why is it any more dangerous than me learning to ride on my POS? At least a crotchrocket has decent brakes, a stiff frame, and a good suspension.

Ron is exactly right. He typed exactly what I was thinking. I suspect that many people think the 900cc bikes are good beginners becouse of the cc's alone. The power to weight ratio of a 900RR is out of sight. I have been riding about 15 years now, and my experience suggests looking for something like a CBR 600. They have awsome handling, great brakes and can be gotten for cheep. I only say the CBR600 becouse of styling. Buy a used one at least 5 years old and have fun. Learn how to corner, how to stop and stear on gravel, and why you never drive downt he center of your lane on this bike. AT SOME POINT YOU WILL PROBABLY DROP THE BIKE. Let it be with a 5 year old 600cc bike.

I do not see a single reason to think that a Harley is safer than a crotch rocket. In fact, I think they are less safe. A crotch rocket will accelerate faster, turn faster, and stop faster than a Harley. Its not like size or weight are going to help you in any way on a bike. Dont get me wrong, I love Harley's, and my next bike will probably be one, but I would never buy one as a first bike. Not even an 883. That is way too nice of bike to be dropping on the ground and learning on.

As for power and speed, I love the kids that buy a 900 or larger as their first bike. They make me laugh. I am still riding an '89 GSXR750, and smoke most of the kids that I ride with. Just like cars, Its all about the man in control. When I lived in Indiana I used to ride alot with a guy named Kevin Atherton who raced pro. He would hop on his buddy's Katana and we would ride. He did things with this bike that I could only dream of. Out of the large group of us, he always led the pack, and none of us could keep up with him.

Please dont buy a big bike. It is human nature to drive it as fast as you can. These bikes are death traps if you lack experience. I cant tell you how many times I watched my buddies ride out of a corner on the back tire. That is nothing but a huge recipe for disaster.

My friend Dave started out on a 900. He did end up dropping it, but only because his buddy ran a 600 into him. He had never ridden before, when he got it. Of course, power to weight doesn't mean diddly if you don't give it any nuts. And if you have any brains at all, you're going to be too scared to give it the nuts the first time you get on it. I was smoking him all over the place on my old 750 the first couple of times we rode. Once he got the hang of it though, i was toast.

His was a '93 CBR 900, though. The power of that bike was comparable to a new 600. A new 900 is a whole different class. Even that old 900 was insane. I rode it once. I went about 3 miles. I got on it, and immediately went through some curves at a speed i'd have never dreamt about on my bike, and the bike wasn't even close to the limit. Then it stalled, and i had to stop and turn the fuel back on. In that time, about 6 or 7 cars passed me, and i was about a mile from home. I got it started, got back out on the road, and promptly passed all of the cars, got safely back into my lane, and slowed down to turn into my driveway. And, i didn't give it WOT and i didn't rev it out. It was a 45 zone, the bike had no speedometer. I was probably going 100-120. When i hit the brake, the whole bike started shaking. Damn warped front brake. Then when i slowed down and pulled in my driveway, i kept swerving back and forth, because of the damn steering dampener. That bike was very uncomfortable. My feet were way to close to my rear, all my weight was over the front wheel, so if i lost traction on that front wheel that's all she wrote, and the brakes were warped. But when you roll on the throttle, all is forgiven.

Some people can just ride, and some can't. You can usually tell whether they can ride by how well they drive a car. People that are more mechanically inclined, and not intimidated by any machine, can usually hop on a bike and learn to control it fairly well, fairly quickly. Other people get on it, get scared, and don't know what to do. For the first class of people, it doesn't matter too much what they start on, as long as they know their limits. For the second class, they shouldn't be riding in the first place.

But, for a good starter bike, i'd say that SV650 is a good recomendation. It should have enough power in it to satisfy you for awhile, once you get the hang of it. I wouldn't get a harley, myself, and i wouldn't get a crotchrocket. That's because of the riding position. If you get a "standard" bike, where you're sitting more or less upright (like my bike), you'll be in the best position to control the bike when something bad happens. The SV650 is more upright than most crotchrockets, but not as upright as say, a nighthawk 750, a 919, or an FZ1. I hit some grease on my bike one time, and all of a sudden i was sliding (going like 10 mph though). If i were on a crotchrocket, i'd have probably laid it down immediately, but i was able to shift my weight and steer a bit, and keep my bike up, because of my riding position.

Bikes rule. I want another one. But i have to buy a house and a boat first.

Low center of gravity makes for easier handling. I like a bike with the saddle height as low as possible to the ground. Easier to park, maneuver and haul. Harley V-ROD has the best specs if you can stay off the throttle.

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

Low center of gravity makes for easier handling. I like a bike with the saddle height as low as possible to the ground. Easier to park, maneuver and haul. Harley V-ROD has the best specs if you can stay off the throttle.

Until you get to that last line on the spec sheet. MSRP of $16,995, if i recall correctly, and last year they were selling for significantly more than that. As much as i like to stay with American products, i have to say that a japanese bike is a much better deal.

I'm also looking into learning to ride a motorcycle. Although I plan to start out on dirt or with a very small street bike. I'd love to drive a crotch rocket eventually, but the thought of getting on one now (with 0 experience) terrifies me. I want to get experienced with riding before I take that plunge (but that's just me).

A lot of people have recommended taking an MSF course: http://www.msf-usa.org/ Looks like a good way place to start if you ask me, plus in Missouri you can use that course to waive the skill portion of the motorcycle license test.

[font color = blue]Tony - St. Louis, MO[/font]
1998 LSC - Toreador Red/Light Graphite
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Scarlet Red coupe
[FONT COLOR=RED]>*> [link:www.markviii.org/~tonymueller|Tony's Internet Garage] <*<[/FONT]

why is a japanese bike a better deal? Look at the Buell line. It is made in America, it has the looks of a japanese bike and cost at most $11,000. I wouls say they are a really good choice for a beginer.

Buells suck. Period. EVERY Buell so far produced has had a recall...would you buy a car from a company that has had every model recalled? And the engine? In their hottest model, the XB9R Firebolt make a wimpy 78HP. When I say wimpy, I'm talking with regards to performance...and for $10,000 USD, that sucks for performance. To put it into perspective, The small 600 bikes (R6, ZX6R, CBR6) make OVER 100HP, brake better, handle better, are faster, more reliable and cost $8,000. More of everything for less money. Pony up around $11,000 USD, and you get nearly 180hp (at the crank), lighter weight, better handling, etc...for the unlimited Supersports. (R1, ZX9R, etc..) Sorry, Buells suck. You obviously haven't driven one, cause you'd realize that your 1982 bike is as good, maybe better than that Buell. I took a Buell on a demo drive, and in my 1/2 ride I had managed to wreck the brakes...warped em blue! And I wasn't even pushing them that hard!! Here in Canada, the XBR costs $15,500...which is the price of the most expensive supersport offered in Canada...the GSXR1300.(Hayabusa). Sorry, man. Buells suck..for beginners, for experts, for men, for women...they just suck. They aren't even on par with the WORST Japanese bikes...sorry...

Hi again Pony,
It looks as if you are getting some good infro everything
except Harleys.
Number 1, I would guess it would depend on your budget.
A Harley is expenseve, even a used one several years old.
The reason being, they hold their value. None of the rest
do.
Used ones are usually very well cared for, as I commented
in my previous post, mainly because Harley owners simply love
their machines.
You can find parts and service anywhre you go (even here in
Cody Wyoming).
The ride is excellent, the performance is great, the value is
unsurpassed, the chick appeal puts the other bikes on the
last list before the 47 studabaker,. and the sound is beyond compariason.
Buy what you can afford and insure it, but do yourself a great
favor and test ride a Harley before you buy.
Also Harleys are forever. Im 70 and still ride. \
Ive owned Harleys since I traded a 32 chev coupe for a 1936 80inch
flathead (stock) Ive got a pic of it, but dont know how to get it
up on the board. That was in 1946.
I have also owned knukeheads, panheads, and one 1961 xlch sportser
that I crashed and burned on in 67 up around Gary Indiana on a wet crossswise railroad track.
A Harley will eat its way into your soul. And rest assured that every rider on the road will wave, and stop and render assistance, or offer you a beer. Its a way of life. Harley owners are a big family, and take care of their family members
Read my profile.
Not proud of where Ive been, but not ashamned either. A Harley will take you there and bring you back.
Best of luck, Fuz

Back