Another Sandy Question

RE: Another Sandy Question

BINGO! Can't trick this bunch.

I found out after I posted - it is a 1951 Sears Allstate. I knew they sold motorcyles - but I did'nt know they EVER sold cars.

Too bad it didn"t have the Craftsman Warranty.

I been out all day, just got home. I knew it was a Sears AllState, as I wrote an article about them, late last year for "an orphans club" of car marques......

BTW, the pictured car has the rare & seldom seen, "Scottsman" Interior trim package, as well as the optional hood ornament.

Sadly, the interior door panels were made from vinyl covered CARDBOARD, and when the doors were opened in the rain and they got damp the carboard warped and got all waavy and bent and would never return to their nice original flat shape!

Also....

Aw, I better stop now :)

As usual - nothing gets by Sandy.

How in the world were they retailed? Did you order one in the garage of the local Sears or what?

They were displayed in the automotive department at Sears-Roebuck Stores, where possible. There was a make-shift office set up usually manned by one salesman. Orders were taken at Sears-Roebuck and the cars were delivered there as well. Service was provided by Sears-Roebuck Auto Centers. They were NOT sold at Kaiser-Frazer stores, which marketed the nearly identical Henry J. which was named for Henry J. Kaiser. Kaiser-Frazer was formed in 1944 and the Allstate was marketed in 1952 & 1953. It was then bought out by Willys in 1954 to form Kaiser-Willys. The Frazer car & the Allstate were discontinued, and the Kaiser was upgraded to just under a luxury car level, like where a Buick Park Ave Ultra is today. Willys was then bought by JEEP and in 1956 (late) became Kaiser-Jeep, which became just JEEP in 1957, when Kaiser failed to make any impact against Packard, Imperial, Cadillac & Lincoln, the 4 luxury nameplates of the day. The most premium Kaiser (the Manhattan) topped off at the level of the cheapest of the aforementioned 4. Few were sold.
American Motors was the banner corporation of Kaiser-Willys and this resulted in the formation of AMC/Jeep in 1970. Thus gave way to AMC/Jeep/Renault in 1979 when France's Renault desired a formadible presence in the USA. Renault tried hard, but flopped in the end when Chrylser bought the entire shebang in 1987 (September), and went on a killing spree, killing off one-by-one every nameplate there with the exception of JEEP, which still survives today, under Mercedes Control :( ~ The storied history of AMC, Kaiser, Willys, Nash, Frazer & Allstate is indeed a very, very insteresting one.

This is all from memory now.

During WWII, Willys-Overland made the jeep as did Ford through a defense contract much like AMG makes the Hummer now. The original design was a Bantam design but that company was too small to produce in quantities.

After the war, Willys came out with a civilian version of a jeep and somehow (?) started selling them using the Jeep name. I think Jeep came from the defense departments nomenclature GP which stood for general purpose or something like that.

I don't remember Jeep as a company that might buy Willys.

http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmrk2.jpg

Yes, Paul, all correct. Yes, Jeep did buy Willys. Willys made cars and at THAT time, Jeep was looking for ways to become diverse (after the war, that is......)

That was very good. The only part that I didn't like was where it ended, it should have gone further. Some of the facts however are different than the book I have.... Oh well...like I did say, it's a fascinating history for sure!

Yes, you can swear it - as I saw it too ! :) But don't even ask me what, where, when or how. I recall seeing it there, and I think (?) also in the back of a Popular Mechanics or similiar competitor of that mag.
I was very young so I just looked and asked no ???'s...

Back