Can anyone help with 98 S10

Kasper

Registered
Ok heres the deal. I am trying to buy a used truck (small one). I ran across a 98 S-10 pickup, body is in great shape and needs some minor engine work. Price is $3500.00. It's got the 4.3L vortech with 91k. Here is the kicker, the electrical system appears to be completely shot. The motor runs, kind of crappy, but it needs new plugs, wires, etc. The check engine light comes on and it's throwing codes.

2600 Daytime Running Lamp Control #1 Circuit Malfunction
2961 Key In Ignition Circuit Malfunction
3031 Key Decoder Device In Assembly Learn Mode

When I first attempted to drive the vehicle, when I depressed the clutch the starter tried to engage, did this like 3 times. It stopped on the 4th attemp and a 5 minute pause. The kid who had it claims to have had a 1500 watt amp and subs in the vehicle (may have something to do with electrical problems) The Ignition switch was compromised by the owner who could not find his keys and decided disassembling the steering column and using a screw driver in the ignition system was preferable to getting the keys (probably explains codes 2961 and 3031). The air bag light is on, windshiled wipers will not work, but the washer works?

Basically I am tring to figure out is this worth the hassle. I can pop in a new ignition cylinder, and possibly a new ECM, but I don't know if there was any serious damage to the electrical system. what do you guys think? I've been putting this woman off for 3 days trying to determine if it's worth it or not. The thing that concerns me most is that I will not be able to get the state inspection if I can not iron out the check engine light problems. One mechanic stated "Trucks electrical system has been overly compromised, damage to fuse box and a host of other systems. My common sense tells me to leave it be unless I can get for like a grand or something. But if anyone thinks there is any hope with out spending a ton of dough on it, I'd like to hear your opinion

RE: Can anyone help with 98 S10

Off hand, no, it isn't worth the trouble. Who knows what all the kid messed up in the electrical system. Plus, if it needs plugs and simple stuff like that then he obviously didn't take care of the mechanicals either.

Before you buy this one, check out AutoTrader.com to see how it compares to the ones listed there. It sounds like you're buying a vehicle with too many problems for that much money...but that's my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide!

I wouldn't touch it. You can get one thats running and in decent shape for that amount.

Kevin: I just checked your profile and saw where you live. Definately don't touch it. Those S-10's are all over the place. If you really want one, just watch your paper, you'll find the right one.

Another vote for not worth it. Electrical troubleshooting sucks. You can do better for similar money.

BTW, That vortec is a very nice engine. Good power/displacement ratio. I know friends who tow 8000lb trailers with those things (way beyond the chassis, but the motors hold well)

Scott

Back