Thunderbird Golde Top suddenly dead

Alexander

Well-known
Paid Member
I brought my 77,000 mile 1960 Thunderbird Golde Top to my friend at the service station to have the air-conditioner evacuated and recharged. I had the receiver/dryer rebuilt but had not done any other work on the A/C system, the system looks original from the compressor, hoses, condenser and dehydrator. The charging procedure went well and amazingly, the air-conditioner system blew ice-cold air.

As soon as he was done, he backed out the garage when suddenly there was a loud bang and the car stalled. He had thought that he had hit something. The crank cannot be moved but the drive shaft turns.

This engine and transmission after a long hibernation had been running well these past two years. The engine, in fact, ran exceptionally well - near silent. A few months back the right head was pulled off in order to put new studs into the exhaust manifold. The filters and oil on the engine and transmission were changed when I got the car and the oil and filter in the engine have been changed at least twice a year since. There is the normal amount of oil in both the transmission and engine.

My mechanic friend is not sure what happened, and he is almost always sure of a diagnosis. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

RE: Thunderbird Golde Top suddenly dead

Yea I have an idea (long story about engines after having been sitting for years then put back in use again)

Suspect #1 – the cam gear has spit all or most of its nylon teeth and the chain now has 2 ½” of slop in it.

(been there 67 Merc 410)

I had a problem like that with a 350cid 1973 Malibu. Usually the cam still spins unless the chain gets jammmed up.

In 1960, the teeth in the gears are still all metal.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

Today, the mechanic took out the oil plug. There was some fresh antifreeze in the pan. When he pulled the pan, there was a lot of muck in the oil pickup and in the bottom of the pan.

The second from the front connecting rod on the passenger had cracked in half. The cracked end of the connecting rod leading from the crank had lodged itself into the side of the engine puncturing a small hold in the side of the wall breaking into the cooling passages. This is also why the engine would no longer turn.

The front two journals were shiny and looked like they were starved for oil. The mechanic was still surprised that this happened at idle. The damage would have been much worse if this happened on the highway at speed.

I have always done regular oil changes in the past two years. The oil light was never functional. I have learned an expensive lesson. Alway drop and inspect the oil pan on an old car that you purchase.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

Back