Sandy's gonna freak!!

RRocket

Registered
Sandyboy,

GM's replacement for the Tracker ( I forget the new vehicle's name..) is going to be powered by an engine made in.....CHINA!!! Yep..a 185hp V6 made in China. Is GM screwed up? The rest of the vehicle will be made in the Suzuki plant in Canada. LOL

Other GM silliness...the V6 in their Saturn VUE is made by Honda.

And their most recent race engine for IRL is made by Ford's COsworth division. LOL

Yep..GM is screwed up....

RE: Sandy's gonna freak!!

I agree. But I'd only buy a Cadillac or a Buick, so I think for a while those two are safe. {Well, also a Corvette} ~ Never much cared for Chevy, my Pontiac Trans Am left a sour taste for Pontiac, and allthough I liked Olds, they have nothing left but minivan & sport ute. Americans are killing the American car industry, and in the end, THEY will BLAME the Industry! What a severe joke!

Moe, you're buying a 1973 Buick ??????????????????
Since you were not here in 1973, the full size base model was the LeSabre and the top of the line model was the Electra 225 (225 was the length in inches) and slotted between them as a "middle-model" was the Lexus.
You didn't think for a moment that Lexus actually came up with something unique, did you???

I dunno Sandy, but I know the differnce between this :) :

http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/buick732.gif

and this:
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382...om/autospies/word_images/9898459_image006.jpg
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382...om/autospies/word_images/9898459_image008.jpg
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382...om/autospies/word_images/9898459_image012.jpg
http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382...om/autospies/word_images/9898459_image018.jpg

You are right, some of designs from other companies do inspire Lexus, but hell, they do a better job then the original. However, you must love those new colors they offer on the 2004 LS430.

but I know the differnce between this and this...

Okay.

One's JapCrap;
full of plastac,
the other's all steel,
both have four wheels.

There they part ways;
until the end of my days;
American cars, as long as I pays.

and I too know the difference!
One keeps money in the USofA
the other sends the dough to Asian mainstays....

So, as long as we're talking Buick
and not that other ick,
I'll take an Ultra Park Avenue, sedan or coupe,
and you can enjoy the IS LS ES GS in your vegitable soup!

Life is too short to drive Japanese cardboard

http://www.kolarnet.com/buick/2003_parkavenue_02.jpeg

but I know the differnce between this and this...

Okay.

One's JapCrap;
full of plastac,
the other's all steel,
both have four wheels.
Life is too short to drive Japanese cardboard

[/quote]

I know its sucide arguing cars with you, but I only have one life to live :) (but im glad i can keep you here more often)

Your truly confusing Toyota with Lexus, its true both are the same company, but Lexus (I’m talking LS430 here) has no plastics like Lincolns and Cady's (TODAY). Sandy, I know it is a matter of pride, but I have to admit the truth, the Lexus LS430 has better materials, and are more reliable, strong, smooth engineered cars.

Go to www.clublexus.com and check out how many early LS400’s are above 300K and 400K miles.

Now show me a caddy or Lincoln with over 200K that is not about to fall apart with practically all of its parts changed as a part of “maintenance” in high quantity numbers.

I also like Lexus. But the GS400/430. Wish I would have bought one instead of my Mark....it would be at least worth more money at this point. And Sandy, don't get me started about vehicles whos profit leaves the US (JEEP! JEEP!)......

The Lexus is a superior product to the Town Car & deVille. It will out perform and outlast it's American car counterparts, and have a highrt trade in value too. Likewise, the Infiniti, the BMW, the Mercedes-Benz, the Volvo and the Saab and of course, all Toyotas.

Happy? We ALWAYS want you happy ! So, question for you...why did we just happen to meet up on a Lincoln board ?

JEEP JEEP :)

I have not seen the JEEPERS in five weeks and I am VERY worried 'bout her! Don't go there with me, right now ! :( :(

Happy? We ALWAYS want you happy ! So, question for you...why did we just happen to meet up on a Lincoln board ?

because I happen to own a lincoln :)

I owned an 97 LS400 for a year, and loved it, and let it go after I got the mark because I was offered a fantastic deal no one can refuse. I sold it for more then any 98 existing mark can sell for last year.

Anyhow, YES, Thank you, im happy now Sandy :) :) :) :) :)

Anyhow, if you'll allow me to get very serious now that we've had our fun....

Yes, many Japanese cars, i.e. Lexus, Infiniti and others do offer top shelf quality, and command hefty trade-in prices. Owners of these cars seem to be very impressed with them, and are frequent repeat buyers. The cars are great, and I am not denying that.
That said, let's talk about my Mark VIII. I kept it 5 model years, longer than I have ever had any car in my life! I got a new Demo 2 or 3 times a year! My Firebird FireHawk I traded in 13 months for the Mark VIII. I will probably keep the new Town Car 4 years. The entire time it will be under warrantee from Lincoln. For my money spent, I think that I got a very well made, comfortable, full perimeter frame, heavy luxury car that is very good looking. Perhaps at 65,000 miles it will indeed fall apart, but I'll never know it ! I put about 4,000 miles a year on a car. The Mark VIII had 17,000 in the 5 years, the Town Car may have two thousand or so MORE miles on it after 5 years, from going down to college to see Matt.
For this mileage & estimated time kept, it's a fine car. Now, also don't forget that it's window sticker was $47,645.00. You can't get a Lexus LS for that kinda money, unless it's used, but definately NOT a new one.

Regarding Pride: Yes, Pride has a little to do with it, but not all that much. Truth told is that my Mom had a brother, who naturally woulda been my uncle. He was blowen to infinatismal pieces on the ship at Pearl Harbor. She didn't even have a body to bury. I have forgotten, but I have not forgiven!
While or when I still have a chance, I will ALWAYS spend my money to purchase American or Canadian product over Japanese product.
I come from a long line of every year car buyers. My Dad bought a new car every year, for 22 years. I don't do that, but I don't "need" a Lexus because I intend to keep it for a decade and drive 25,000 miles a year!
My Town Car offers me everything I want, and in 4 years someone will get a terrific car with 17,000 miles on it in like new condition.

That's my sincerest, from the heart explanation, Moe.

Hey Sandy, how is the american consumer killing the american car company?

How can I, a consumer, be guilty that the car companys put out poorly made, poorly designed crap built of inferior products?

My car stickered at $42K new. Any German or Japanese car that stickered at $42k then would not be in as bad a shape as my car nor be worth less.

I don't intend to be mean or sarcastic, I'm actually quite curious. I had two uncles killed in wars in Asia. I don't think my dad would ever forgive me if I bought Japanese.

Scott

Anyhow, if you'll allow me to get very serious now that we've had our fun....

Yes, many Japanese cars, i.e. Lexus, Infiniti and others do offer top shelf quality, and command hefty trade-in prices. Owners of these cars seem to be very impressed with them, and are frequent repeat buyers. The cars are great, and I am not denying that.
That said, let's talk about my Mark VIII. I kept it 5 model years, longer than I have ever had any car in my life! I got a new Demo 2 or 3 times a year! My Firebird FireHawk I traded in 13 months for the Mark VIII. I will probably keep the new Town Car 4 years. The entire time it will be under warrantee from Lincoln. For my money spent, I think that I got a very well made, comfortable, full perimeter frame, heavy luxury car that is very good looking. Perhaps at 65,000 miles it will indeed fall apart, but I'll never know it ! I put about 4,000 miles a year on a car. The Mark VIII had 17,000 in the 5 years, the Town Car may have two thousand or so MORE miles on it after 5 years, from going down to college to see Matt.
For this mileage & estimated time kept, it's a fine car. Now, also don't forget that it's window sticker was $47,645.00. You can't get a Lexus LS for that kinda money, unless it's used, but definately NOT a new one.

Regarding Pride: Yes, Pride has a little to do with it, but not all that much. Truth told is that my Mom had a brother, who naturally woulda been my uncle. He was blowen to infinatismal pieces on the ship at Pearl Harbor. She didn't even have a body to bury. I have forgotten, but I have not forgiven!
While or when I still have a chance, I will ALWAYS spend my money to purchase American or Canadian product over Japanese product.
I come from a long line of every year car buyers. My Dad bought a new car every year, for 22 years. I don't do that, but I don't "need" a Lexus because I intend to keep it for a decade and drive 25,000 miles a year!
My Town Car offers me everything I want, and in 4 years someone will get a terrific car with 17,000 miles on it in like new condition.

That's my sincerest, from the heart explanation, Moe.

Wow, I really respect your opinion, and your point of view. I just thought I had to jump on it when you said Lexus was a plastic box. I would defiantly would not blame you for not buying a Lexus, but if you look at how I use cars, and the mileage I put on them, it is enormous. I used to put more then a 3K miles in less then a month. I'm the type of guy that takes advantage of every feature in a car, I like them full of options, rides, looks, and lots of power. But then again, you might find a Hummer useful when I would not, so it is really a matter of use, and taste. But then again, I never lost anyone in Pearl Harbor, which puts me in another sea, and I guess I cannot really understand what you’re going through. I’m sorry about your loss, truly am.

Moe, just curious. What lifestyle and/or job and/or whatever causes you to put on so many miles on a car? It's very obviously not "joy-riding" ~ so there IS a destination in mind. As a 4,000 mile a year driver I am searching to comprehend. We lived 3.2 (that's three point two) miles from my Dad's office. In a normal day he drove 6.4 miles. He worked 6 days a week. On Sunday he stayed home. If they traveled, they flew (like to Florida). At the end of a year he had under 2,500 miles on the Imperial and it went back to the dealer and he got a new one and they sold the old one as a "Demo" ~ So, my 4,000 miles a year is alot more than he did. Your mileage and others as well astound me. On the Road salesmen or live & work are 200 miles apart ... or what?

Hey Sandy, how is the american consumer killing the american car company?

How can I, a consumer, be guilty that the car companys put out poorly made, poorly designed crap built of inferior products?

My car stickered at $42K new. Any German or Japanese car that stickered at $42k then would not be in as bad a shape as my car nor be worth less.

I don't intend to be mean or sarcastic, I'm actually quite curious. I had two uncles killed in wars in Asia. I don't think my dad would ever forgive me if I bought Japanese.

Scott

By purchasing 4 million foreign cars a year, that otherwise would have been American cars, thereby sending the profits (money) out of America and strengthing the foreign competition, while weakening the American companies.

Don't feed me that crap about how great the foreign cars are. They are no better than ours and that's why they TOO have service departments. (and) They're service departments are just as jammed up with work as ours are.
I have driven them and outside of the premium makes, I do not think they are any better! A Kia over a Focus? A Corolla over a Taurus? No Way!

Moe, just curious. What lifestyle and/or job and/or whatever causes you to put on so many miles on a car? It's very obviously not "joy-riding" ~ so there IS a destination in mind. As a 4,000 mile a year driver I am searching to comprehend. We lived 3.2 (that's three point two) miles from my Dad's office. In a normal day he drove 6.4 miles. He worked 6 days a week. On Sunday he stayed home. If they traveled, they flew (like to Florida). At the end of a year he had under 2,500 miles on the Imperial and it went back to the dealer and he got a new one and they sold the old one as a "Demo" ~ So, my 4,000 miles a year is alot more than he did. Your mileage and others as well astound me. On the Road salesmen or live & work are 200 miles apart ... or what?

LOL!
To be honest with you, we are the ones that are amazed at how little you drive. First, I live in the suburbs kind of, and when I need anything; I need to drive a few miles. Then comes College, I have to drive all the way to downtown Tampa everyday to go to school and back, and there came semesters where I'd have to go and come back twice a day two times a week.

Then comes joy riding!! YUP, when I’m very bored, I DRIVE for fun, I like to drive around, I also used to go to Orlando and Miami practically every other weekend in my first 2 years of college because it was nothing but fun, and not many hard classes, yup, all for fun.
Plus I’m not the type of guy thats cheap on Gas, if I remember there’s a good restaurant out of town, I would drive there, eat with a few guys, and come right back. Yup, once I was dared at 2am when we wanted to some doughnuts to drive all the way to Orlando for a particular Dunkin doughnuts, and guess what, I DID :p (at that time, we were in front of the doors of one of thier store that was next to my house)
And from time to time, I would drive to Orlando for the night, and come back same night after cruzin’ their streets.

But I have calmed down, and been busy with school lately, so that put the mileage down, because its either that, or my car would of had 100K before the end of the year, (I bought it with 60).

I generally prefer American cars over foriegn ones, personally. Japanese vehicles in general (there are definitely exceptions to the rule, but Lexus isn't one of them) are blandly styled, and just don't excite me. It's always kind of a "me too" type thing. The quality may be comparable to an american car, but i don't think it's superior.

I've personally driven a Mark VIII with 225,000 miles on it, and it ran great. Original motor and trans, body looked good (but not great :)). I'm sure there were suspension parts replaced somewhere in that time span, but the same is going to happen on jap cars. I know another person who had a Mark with 225k on it (give or take) with the original motor and trans. It looked like crap (black with very faded gold trim, front bumper looked like it hit a few things). He sold it, he got a bit over 2 grand for it.

I'm currently driving a '93 Blazer with 194,000 miles on it, in addition to my mark. I just sold a '91 S10 with 191,000 on it, for $1800. Both run great.

To be honest with you, we are the ones that are amazed at how little you drive.

I'll second that :) I live 33 miles away from work, so I put on 66 miles five times a week. A couple miles extra if I drive to lunch, and then a ton more if I end up driving on the weekend (I live a ways from my friends). Last year I put on 18,xxx miles. Not the most I've heard of, but way more than average.

Truthfully if all I did was make short trips I'd buy something small and light that accelerates well off the line. I have the Lincoln because I do so much highway driving.

Also, I agree with Sandy that Americans are killing the American car market. But I think both consumers and manufacturers share the blame.

Okay, that is it. I work from home = NO commute.
I don't cruise around. Too old for that + they tore down all the good cruise joints and built condos on them. There is no place to really go.
Our town has 2 major supermarkets, a Home Depot, a movie and lots of shopping, but I usually take my business to the town I grew up in as I know wveryone there (unlike here) and THAT town is just 5 miles south - so round trip = 10 miles. About the longest trip is down to see Matt at college (he lives there, too) and that is 104 round trip. When you own a house, there's always crap to be done, so it takes away from any cruzin time.......Life changes.

By the way, these are my favorite foreign cars, in no particular order...

Infiniti M45 (X) .& Q45
Volvo S80 T-6 Premier X
Audi S4 (X) .& RS6 & A8
Mitsubishi Diamante (X)
Saab AERO 9.5(X)
Jaguar S-Type "R"
Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas "R"
Jaguar XK & XK-"R"
Aston Martin
Mercedes CLK & S500 Roadster

But, there are only 5 on the list that I could afford..... With the "X" after them

Back