Grand Am Antifreeze Leak

Trixie

Staff member
The kid's got antifreeze (a lot) leaking out of the Grand Am (94). Hubby says it looks like it's coming from a right angle drain tube that comes out of the firewall right next to the heater hoses. Any ideas?

RE: Grand Am Antifreeze Leak

My guess would be the heater core. I had the same leak, at least it sounds like it. I just replaced mine in my 92 Grand Am, 2 weeks ago. It is kind of a pain to get at, not hard, but the lower dash and center council have to come out. Mine was not actually the heater core itself but the tube made of PLASTIC going into it. The new heater core came with metal tubes.

Thanks Ken. So how long did it take to replace, and did you have to disconnect the heater hoses that go into the firewall?

Were you able to do it all from on top and inside the car, or did you have to get under it?

Is it a one person job?

It took over two hours, but that was with chasing tools down. We had to disconnect the heater hoses, under the car. Luckily I had a helping hand, it would have taken longer without a freind. There are quite a few screws that have to be taken out to access the heater core, and we did have to get underneath of the car for the heater hoses. I think the hardest part was finding all of the screws to the plastic cover that houses the heater core, I cracked mine up a little bit (quess I couldn't find all the screws, oops). Its not bad, just a lot of screws, covers, and plasic thats needs removing. Good Luck, if you have any questions, let me know, I will try to help.

Back