In car Video, Formula SAE

RE: In car Video, Formula SAE

In car camera is EASY. I've used this system. Crystal clear, vibration free. $309. Check it out. http://www.helmetcamera.com/

With the research a pal and I did (remember, we are life-long racers) for a local Formula SAE, we still think the hot ticket power wise is a KTM 520cc single, or Honda's CRF450. The make tons of torque, plenty of HP, are lighter than the inline 4, have a starter, etc...Some nit-wit ENGINEER told us "No way...we NEED 14,000 RPMs"...sigh....LOL

Thanks for the link.

As for the smaller engines, there are teams that run those but the CBR F4i or other 600's are always the fastest out there. We have looked into other engines but the F4i works best for us (besides, i can build one in my sleep now)

Our F4i weighs 123lbs dry and we have our own Dry sump oiling system that we use to eliminate the oil pan so we can mount the engine lower for that extra low CG

The whole problem is the 20mm intake restrictor. Are car puts out as much or more horsepower NA than all the Turbo cars at competition. Because of the restrictor we have lowered our Redline down to 12,000 and you dont make any more hp above that.

Yep..it was the restrictor on the I-4 engines that hurt it. The big singles were less bothered by it. The big singles ALREADY have dry sump, which was another reason we "chose" those engines. Done properly, they rev out to over 10,000RPM, but they mage HUGE torque over the I-4. And torque was important since on a few tests that we did, during a typical autocross event, the engines were only pegged to full throttle RPM like 8% or the time. As you know, you have to rev those I-4 to make them go. Another few times we saw cars spin out, with no electric start. Once they were stalled, that was it, game over. We really believe a team who does a proper big single will have a winner on their hands. Oh..the singles weigh only about 75lbs. (the entire bike only weighs 225!!). Add to the fact that the aftermarket for those singles offer carbon fiber everything, and you can really trim some fat. Wreck the engine and it's cheaper to rebuild. Yep..a single is where it's at.

As far as your engine, if you want more low-mid, check out the cam from the new Honda 599. Uses the same engine but the cam tuning allows more more low mid punch. ~Ron

What type of HP is your engine making, Dan? Just curious....

We are having custom, rods, cams and pistons made. and we tune for 8500rpm, its not as peaky as you may think, we get a nice powerband right where we need it most of the time. Our 2002 car we kept in 2nd gear the entire autocross event and it came in 3rd.

I would have to see the numbers for that single cylinder to see if it could work. I dont doubt you can get some great torque but i have yet to see a NA engine that tops our numbers at competition.

The F4i block is also excellent for adding structural rigidity and the shape of the engine fits well into this car design

I have not heard of the honda 599 but the F4i engine is actually 599cc. Are you talking about the 600RR?

Y'all have too much money. My schools FSAE team had to make do on donations (there was a budget that covered some supplies, but nothing fancy). I'm pretty sure they're still running F4 motors, simply because they got 4 of them donated a few years ago.

Dan,

No not. the 600RR..the 600RR does NOT use the F4i mill. The 599 does. Here's a link: http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/146_04_honda_599/

The year I was at the SAE competition, the winning numbers for the Dynojet Horsepower Shootout was 74RWHP if I remember properly. A tuned single will be very, very close to that number. I think everyone is using the F4I engine beacuse....everyone else is using the F4I engine, Dave...LOL

We achived 80.1rwhp in 2003 with our f4i

I would have to see the numbers to believe we can get that with a single. Not saying its impossible but thats quite a bit for a single with a restrictor.

Back