Regal leads 'Consumer Reports' reliability list

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20031104/bs_usatoday/11936449

Regal leads 'Consumer Reports' reliability list
Tue Nov 4, 7:00 AM ET Add Business - USATODAY.com to My Yahoo!

By Earle Eldridge, USA TODAY

The Buick Regal is the most reliable family sedan, bumping perennial leaders Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima in Consumer Reports ' latest new vehicle guide, on sale Tuesday.

And benighted Ford Focus has put enough distance between itself and a raft of early recalls to make the influential magazine's list of recommended vehicles. (Related list: Consumer Reports' reliability survey)

Detroit automakers say it's time they got recognition for quality improvements.

"In general, (domestic brands) are clearly narrowing any gap that existed," says Louise Goeser, vice president of quality for Ford. She says Ford's general warranty spending the past year is down 19%. Focus warranty expense is down 30%, Ford says.

Detroit models are heavily discounted, while top names from Japanese brands which continue to dominate the reliability charts, despite Detroit improvements are not. Consumer Reports data suggest that shoppers now have more and cheaper choices without sacrificing reliability.

Perhaps most galling of the magazine's data is that very often, the more you pay, the worse you get.

Less reliable than average were every model by Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar and Land Rover. Those are luxury brands whose prices can run past $80,000. BMW did better. Only its $70,000 7 Series flagship sedan and $41,000 X5 were worse than average.

The results are based on spring survey results from 675,000 readers and subscribers to the magazine's Web site. Reliable vehicles aren't always recommended. They also must perform well in magazine driving tests and score well in crash tests. For instance Regal, a headline car for the preview guide, isn't recommended because Consumer Reports hasn't tested it recently.

Other Detroit models upgraded in reliability and now recommended: Ford's Explorer and Escape SUVs and Lincoln LS luxury sedan; and GM's Buick Park Avenue, Buick Rendezvous and Saturn L300.

RE: Regal leads 'Consumer Reports' reliability list

I love these reliability lists. Done by SURVEY and not actual amount of times car has been to dealer...LOL

This is funny because it is 'Consumer Reports' and domestics have not gotten a good review in a long time. It is just the readers who submit surveys, and it would appear most own Toyotas and Hondas. The Regal is not even on their recommended list because they did not do a test drive it.

Just found this in the new issue of Consumer Reports:--

Based on a Consumer Reports survey covering 1996-2003 models, the Buick Regal has emerged as the most reliable vehicle among all family cars, edging out the Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima.

But it's just a SURVEY. If they gave Mark VIII owners a survey, the Mark VIII would score higher than it's ACTUAL reliability score. (Based on visits to the dealer, and problems per hundred cars).

Those surveys don't seem to be very accurate how can a V6 Toyota 4 Runner be "least reliable" and a V8 "most reliable". Engine choice alone can't possible make up that big of a difference.

I like the Regal. Of course Id have to have the supercharged GS model. My wife and I drove one and liked it but we decided to pay off her car before any purchase.

Isn't it basically a Grand Prix GTP with different badging and lights??? The GTP didn't score any high ratings.

I really don't understand how it happened that 4-door cars now are considered personal performance cars, and that 2-door coupes are nearly extinct. Why do you need 4 doors if you are usually the only one driving the car? The lines of a car always seem cleaner when it is a 2-door. I would by that GSX Regal if it were a 2-door.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

Back