Toyota Prius Named Best Car for 2004

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=&e=12&u=/ap/20031120/ap_on_bi_ge/motor_trend_car_1

Toyota Prius Named Best Car for 2004
Thu Nov 20, 2:03 AM ET Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By JOHN PORRETTO, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT - The world's first commercially mass-produced hybrid car has claimed the honor of 2004 Car of the Year from Motor Trend magazine. The newest version of the Toyota Prius, introduced in 1997, beat out 26 new or significantly reengineered models.

"The Prius is a capable, comfortable, fun-to-drive car that just happens to get spectacular fuel economy," Motor Trend editor-in-chief Kevin Smith said. "It also provides a promising look at a future where extreme fuel efficiency, ultra-low emissions and exceptional performance will happily coexist."

A hybrid car delivers better mileage by switching between a gasoline or diesel engine and an electric motor. The car recharges itself during the drive.

For now, the only versions available in the United States are small cars made by Toyota and Honda Motor Co. (news - web sites), but several major automakers have models in the works.

Motor Trend editors said the Prius is capable of providing 60 miles per gallon in city driving and cited it as the first such hybrid to move into the automotive mainstream. They said the car is spacious enough to be classified as a midsize sedan.

The newly designed Prius hit U.S. showrooms in October. Toyota expects annual sales of the next-generation hybrid car to top 35,000. U.S. sales last year were 21,193. The base price for the car is about $20,000.

Dan Gorrell, vice president of California-based research firm Strategic Vision, said many early buyers likely made the choice because of the car's novelty and advanced technology.

Motor Trend chooses its top car based on value, standing in its class and significant developments for 2004. One condition is that the vehicle must be available to the public by Jan. 1.

Vehicles are driven thousands of miles in a variety of weather and road conditions to evaluate factors such as handling and power delivery.

Last year's winner was the Infiniti G35.

Last month, the publication named the Volkswagen Touareg, that automaker's first entry in the sport utility segment, as its SUV of the year. A top truck also will be named next month.

RE: Toyota Prius Named Best Car for 2004

"The world's first commercially mass-produced hybrid car "

Errr......that honour goes to the Honda Insight.

So e-mail JOHN PORRETTO and tell him.

[/quote]

Thats what i thought too..... hmm

Oh, by the way,
They were filming a Prius commercial here on my campus, I dont know when it will come out but it was filmed right infront of our new Technlology Building. They spent a whole day with a HUGE camera crew, it was kinda neat to watch but kinda weird that a Toyota commercial was filmed in detroit.

Yea the improvement in the second generation are impressive. 0-60 went from 12 sec to 10 sec. The gas milage in the city is over 60mpg. They have made the car bigger as well while keeping price at the same level.

I still prefer the Insight. The Insight went 0-60 in 10 seconds right from the get go, and boasts better mileage by far. BY FAR!

"Car of the year" ?? They didn't see the Cadillac XLR ?

Well, Motor Trend speaks for me. I'm selling one McLaren to Steve for his offer of $4,000 and the new Town Car and buying a Pie-ass! Know I know why I haven't bought a Motor Trend like in 7 or 8 years. File it over there............ with Consumer Reports >>>

Sandy et al,

The criteria for Motor Trends Car of The Year is "the most significant new car" of the year. I hardly think the XLR is more significant on a scale than the Prius. The Prius really is a mainstream car available to all. And it's electric, affordable, practical, etc.. It's everything the XLR is not. The XLR looks nice, but that's about it in terms of significance in the grand scheme. I was PISSED when the Insight didn't get the Car of The Year when it was introduced. Afterall..there was NOTHING more significant than the first electric hybrid available in the United States. And it was a techinical tour-de-force. It was and still is an amazing car. It was beat out of top honours, if I recall correctly, by the PT Looser (cruiser). How could the PT Cruiser be more significant in autodom than the first real good, working hybrid??? I'm still baffled by that one. Motor Trend isn't always PC, as you can see by the year 2001 COTY...Pt Looser....Sheesh...

Well..........
Okay, looking at it in THAT light, Literally MOST significant for techno break through - now, I can see it. Most readers I suspect will understnad it as BEST new Car, period, and not in the truest sence of the meaning as you have explained.
For a family of 4 on a tight budget that is not into cars, and views cars a toasters, to be used and tossed away, as strictly a utilitarian thing, I can see it a prudent purchase.
I'd be as uncomfortable in that car, as they'd be in a XLR. The Toyo is an excellent commuter car to leave at the train station and double as a weekend round town basic transportation.
I suspect that I'll see loads of them down at Princeton when I pass Princeton University going to see Matt. Those professors there make like $150,000 a year and they all drive little econo boxs, The Beetle is a big hit, as is the Nissan Sentra and the Kia family and the Hyundai Accent. this one should fit right in.

It has been several years since Motor Trend has ended its separate Import of the Year award, since there are only two domestic manufacturers left - GM and Ford. It also became too complicated to determine what exactly an import or a domestic was. The first Car of the Year was the 1958 Thunderbird in 1958.

Honestly, Toyota deserves the award. This is a hybrid car that is actually practical and has adequate performance. US companies would have been better off if they had invested some of the development money they put into SUV's into this type of technology.

I think hybrids are a stop-gap technology. Fuel cell powered cars are probably going to surplant them.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

At first, I thought they were nuts!
But, after R*Rocket explained it ~ it did open my eyes to the truest meaning of what they look for, and with THAT in mind, well .......
(swallow, twice) I'd have to agree. It's the "break thru technology" bringing it to market kinda thing.

Yesterday, I took our 1993 Sixty Special
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/503/26sandy2-med.jpg
in for yearly service and an emissions check. 9,673 miles. Waiting, I sat in the new XLR and watched the roof work.
It's very hard for me to accept the fact that this car did not win, but at least now......I understand! :) (I also bought 5 lottery tickets for tonight :) ) I wanna get that Prius tomorrow if I win. ;)

Unfortunately, Toyota has had a higher profit than the US makes recently, so they have more money for development.

The US companies should have used their limited resources more wisely. It is a mistake that has been made before. Studebaker wasted its money on a sports car among other things, when they should have used the money on mainstream cars.

In the 1970's, it had been predicted that oil reserves would run out by now. The US companies have had ample time to develop the next generation of fuel sources.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

Back