Durango, truck or minivan?

flamark

Registered
I just saw one of the new Dodge Durango's drive by my house. Boy did Dodge miss the mark with this one. It looks like a minivan on steroids. Sure, its got a hemi, but who cares. Who wants a hemi in a minivan.

Police Motto: Be Polite. Be Courteous. Have a plan to hug everyone you meet.

RE: Durango, truck or minivan?

SUV's have been evolving into minivans for the past 5 years.

The first one of those i saw was sometime back in may or june, i think. That's what's nice about living in Detroit, you get to see a lot of the new american cars on the road long before they come out.

SUV's have been evolving into minivans for the past 5 years.

This is a bad thing? It is taking the people out of SUVs who dont really need them and putting them back into cars. I think there will end up being just the real SUV's (Ones with actual frames under them)left after a couple of years. The newest rend, especially up here in the NorthEast are the "Cross-Overs."

I think that you should have to prove that you need either 4WD or an SUV before you are allowed to register it. It is rediculous the amount of people who permanently reside in Downtown Boston( I dont think citys get any more condensed than that one), but feel it necessary to have full size SUVs (Suburbans, Excursions, H2's) and even full size trucks. Seriously, if you think you need 4WD, go get a BMW 325xi, at just over $30k you can get those more than $10k cheaper than a nicely equiped Excursion/Suburban class vehicle. Then there are always MB's, Volvo's, Subaru's and Audi's.

Get a vehicle that suits your needs.

If i had the money i'd be out buying a 3/4 or 1 ton dodge diesel right now. So i can't really talk smack about the people who buy them and don't need them. Of course if i got me a diesel, i'd get a car trailer and i'd off-road it (but not with the car trailer attached).

there are 2 perfectly good uses right there. Hualing and recreation. fine. I did notice that one of your uses was not taking the kids to school and picking up milk and lettuce.

Are you really advocating that people should have to prove a need before they can register vehicles? Do you really need a 280 hp, 4,000 lb coupe? How much would licenses have to cost to cover the expenses of implementing this? Who would decide what you need?

ahhh, you do make a good point.

However, I am a 6'4" 280lb guy who drives 80 to 100 mileds a day. I need something that I fit in comfortably, is reliable and can take the abuse.

Im not saying it is pracitcal or constitutional, just that the amount of people running around in SUV's is utterly ridiculous, especailly since 90% of them dont know how to handle a big truck, let alone a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Maybe you should have to get a special license to be able to drive an SUV, like what it takes to be able to drive a big truck...

There you go. I know you need a special license over 10000 lb or so GVWR. Just add another special license for anything over 5500 lb GVW.

There's a big hill on my way to work. I drive up the hill each morning away from town about the same time most everyone else is driving down the hill towards town. In the winter, with any inclement weather, it is bumper to bumper coming off the hill at very slow speeds. A lot of SUVs in an seemingly appropriate situation.

But I wonder to myself, how many of them even know how to put it in 4WD? LOL!

As far as graduated drivers licenses for overweight vehicles... the most effective answer is in some European Union 'states'. They have what is called a 'weigh tax'. An annual tax based solely upon the vehicle's registered GVW. Hefty enough that only the well off drive much more than a 'mini'. That's one reason so-called BIG American cars are such a rarity in most of Europe. Most people think it to be the high cost of fuel alone.

One of the reasons that Europe has such high gas prices is that it is taxed to help support mass transit. If our mass transit was more efficiant a lot of those SUV's would sit at home. One of my friends works for the local county government. She gets a free bus pass that lets her read the paper while being driven to work. She also doesn't have to pay for parking in the city and her car doesn't accumulate miles and wear & tear.

I find myself gravitating toward smaller, more efficient vehicles. I think my replacement for the Ranger will be an AWD Honda Element with the 5 speed manual. Tons of room, versatile, well-built, and affordable.

As for the Durango... I was a little disappointed with the styling, after seeing the Ram. It's like they over-inflated it or something. Should've made it a little more aggressive looking.

Kev415: How can you fit in a Mark VIII?

I am 6ft 2 and about 230 and I find the Mark very cramped.
It is my only real issue with the Mark VIIIs, but I have a 93 with a sunroof.

I guess all this talk even makes me want a lotus elise more. an Elise is what cars should be.

Tall guys really do need big cars to be comfortable. My 6'5" husband can only be truly comfortable in a truck, even though we seldom haul anything with it.

He can't sit up straight in the Mark, even with the seat laid way back. The Crown Vic is the first car I've had that he can sit up straight in, and have some head room left.

Back