2002 Trans Am Avanti?!?!?!?!?

RE: 2002 Trans Am Avanti?!?!?!?!?

2002 - 2003 Avanti from Avanti Motor Car Corporation in Villa Rica, Georgia, formerely of South Bend, Ind. $87,000

Everything, no relationship at all.
Do not not recall Avanti II (1966-1991)

Well, opinions on the Avanti vary. It has been sought out by the Museum of Modern Art, in New York, as an outstanding design of the period.

And, it somehow stayed in production, in various forms, for 40 years after the manufacturer went out of business.

I suspect we won't see either of these things happen to Mark VIIIs.

Bob

I drove one for a while, and they were great. I bought it at auction for my used car lot. Fast car. Corvette 350 underhood, turned heads and I got the "thumbs Up" on a daily routine. Had fun with it, until I sold it. It was a 1971 in light silver-blue. I like the new version (2002-2003) even better, but they are waaay too much $$$ $83,000 I was told.

Have a look around:-

http://www.avantimotors.com

UGhhhh.. What are they trying to get at with the front end.....

Rest of the ride looks nice tho.

Jon Ike
95 MKVIII
STRA DOG
[font color="#CC0000"]
MIDWEST CHAPTER [/font]

If my early memory serves -- Avanti was a model that put Studebaker dealers out of business. It was so popular compared to the other models in the line that the dealers were stuck with everything EXCEPT the Avanti.

And of course Studebaker required them to buy like two of the other models to get one Avanti - and as such they weakened their dealer network to the point of no return.

NOTE: Sandy - can you confirm that this is fact - or is it a common "fable" that our father's told us as kids???

It most definately IS fact, however it's not what put Stude out of business. What put them out was that they were under capitalized and just didn't have the $$$$ for R & D, Dealer Development, New Product Development and advertising to go up against GM FORD & Chrysler. The small amount of sales of the line continued to starve the bottom line, and the above 4 things continue to starve in a "catch-22" syndrome. The Avanti sold because it was light years ahead of anything else. It held the Bonneville Salt Flats speed records for 2 decades!!! It was the first passenger car to ever come with a built in Roll Bar, the first with Padded Dash, the First with Seat Belts, the first with Stainless Steel mufflers & pipes, and 100's of other "firsts".... They rode on Corvette underpinnings, and used Corvette motors & Trannys. In 1984 they switched to Camaro Z-28 underpinnings. The new one is built on Trans Am WS6 coupes & 'Verts.
Alexander, they have an indoor storage of a couple hundered 2002 WS6 T.A.s - When they are done.... ??
I spoke today with a high up person at Chevrolet. There WILL be a 2006 Camaro !! It will use in the V-8 mode the present Z06 engine.

I've just finished a year-long study of Studebaker's failure. There has been a lot of scholarship in this area in the last few years. The best book about Studebaker is Thomas Bonsall's More Then They Promised.

In actuality, the Avanti was a miserable failure for Studebaker. They sold less than half the number they predicted in 63-4. Production costs went out of sight, 'cause they had no expereince building plastic bodies. Avanti got lots of buzz in the press. Everybody loved them, but not too many people bought one. In the years after Studebaker quit making them, Avanti resale dropped like a rock.

Studebaker failed because they did a lot fo dumb things in the early 50s, and they chose not to try and correct their problems, but instead sought salvation through financial manipulation. The money they made from cars in the 40s, and it was a lot, was used to buy other companies. That is why the Studebaker Corporation continued on for many years after they quit making cars in 1966. The day after they quit making cars, Studebaker stock doubled on the stock market.

Bob

I read the book too. However I would like to point out that the Avanti should not be held liable for Studebaker's (the Corporation)'s ills. Yes, the Corp. made many ill concieved decessions, however the Avanti was light years ahead of it's time, not only in design (aerodynamic) but in safety (seat belts & roll bars) and also in performance (held Bonneville salt flats land speed record for decades.)

The Newman-Altman, Blake and Cafaro owners sold more Avantis than did Studebaker. The Avanti was never meant to be a volume car for Stude, but rather a halo car, much like any brands super expensive limited edition top of the line model is.

Thanks. I've been close to the Avanti since 1963. Had one for a while as a demo, too. Worked for a Dodge/Avanti dealer. We retailed like 6 a year. One owner traded his 1971 for a 1975, and I drove the 71 for a while. Nice car, but alot of money, even back then. Got to meet some really rich people thru Avanti sales, among which was the CEO of Ivory Soap.

Back