Grand Am Probs again - Need Advice

Trixie

Staff member
So, for any who have been following the tale of the Kid's Grand Am:

It's a 94 that I bought new. Well taken care of. I think about 80K miles on it. V6.

We put about 3K of work into it last fall, including new brakes, new oil pan, new window motors, yada yada yada.

Couple weeks later, we replaced the heater core.

Lower intake gasket was leaking, had that replaced 2 weeks ago.

NOW, there's antifreeze in the oil again, and it's either head gaskets, cracked heads or a cracked block.

So at this point, it's gonna be about $750 just to take it apart and find the problem.

The big question: Is it worth putting a new engine in this thing, or is it time to trade it in? If it's time to dump the car, gimme suggestions on what you think we should look for to replace it.

Thanks.

RE: Grand Am Probs again - Need Advice

if you could do the work yourself i'd say fix it. But i say dump it. The only thing that sucks is that you already have so much money into it.

Get him a Mark VIII. Or a focus.

I agree Sharon, it's time to trade.

Why not go for another MarkVIII? I look at them on ebay all the time and there are some great deals.

Yes I still might buy another one.

I'd love for the kid to get an VIII, that may be a good choice. Besides, he's got the jacket already hee hee. (Although with the weather the way it's been, I'd hate to think of him driving it in this crap).

Well, theoretically, dad-in-law could help us do the work (I'm fairly certain on that). But I think since we don't know what kind of engine damage has been done with the antifreeze in the oil, replacing the head gaskets would be a waste, so it would definitely be an engine replacement. Then we'd also have to figure out something while we're out one car. So yeah, I guess I'm leaning towards dumping it. I doubt we'd buy a car on ebay, as most likely it'd be easier on us just to trade the grand am in.

If you don't want to use ebay, why not buy a Mustang. I LOVE mine.

I'd love to have another Mustang in the house, but IMO they're going to be way overpriced for what we want, and the insurance wouldn't help matters.

Am I wrong, I figured we'd get the most out of the Grand Am, considering the shape it's in, by trading it in, and not selling it outright? I did take a quick look and saw a silver 98 LSC at the dealer I bought my car from for 11K -- hee hee probably more than we want to spend and do I really want the kid having a nicer car than me?

I don't know, maybe I could talk to Strapp about buying his car (does it run?) but then we'd have the problem of getting rid of the Grand Am.

Still considering options here -- a part of me would love to buy a car like Dennis's, but I still don't know what we're going to be willing to spend. Plus this is gonna have to happen fast, we just can't get along without 3 cars.

I really think you can get a great deal on a used Mustang. I look in the paper all the time and they semm reasonably priced.

I don't think steves car runs, but i bet you could get it for a steal if you take it as-is. All the goodies are already off it, though. I have the headers and t/c, chris is getting the rims and brakes, Jon (?) has the hood, and the motor is toast. But if you could put a motor in it, you could probably get a good deal on it.

You're son is a "new" driver, and like all new drivers needs any advantage he can get, and any buffer of added safety, since like me you too live in a "snow-zone" ~ If it were me, I'd buy a 4WD.... Perhaps a 1 or 2 year old Subaru. They are great cars with great durability records, and are not prone to tipping over. He'll probably take it away to college with him, and colleges do the most horrific job of plowing in the USA, so he'll realy like being able to get out of there. My 2 cents ;)

Hmm, I have to say you have to dump the car, its going to fall apart on you... I've had similar experiences with a beater of mine. You'd think that now you invested all the money in the car it will last but it won't and next time it'll move to something else... and that list keeps going and going... About another Mk8 for the "kid" i would not recommend that, Marks are not very reliable and need lots of gas and care. I would suggest something simpler and more reliable... Crown vic??? Taurus??? Or some kind of Jap Sedan like a Maxima.

OK, you guys are really helping me out here in thinking this thru.

We do need a running car, and one which hopefully wouldn't need work or tires or whatever right away.

Max, you're right about the gas and care. That's something to think about, but we all love the Marks.... and the kid does take good care of his car, and can do basic mechanical work.

But yes, it's gonna be a Ford or Chevy, of that I'm pretty certain. He might like a crown vic -- is there anything in particular to watch out for?

I think Grand Marquis and The Crown Vic are the best cars for the money. One of the few V-8 available at a decent price. I've had several as Compmay cars and put over 100k on the car with no problems.

Well if you do decide to go for a crown vic, these cars are pretty sound... I've heard that they are intake problems on the older cars (97 and below) that surface above 100k. The crown vics use the same 4r70w so make sure the transmission fluid is red and preferably changed at least every 30k. Can’t really recommend a Chevy because I’ve never owned one, but I’ve heard that the Buick Regals (still GM) are really reliable.

Buy the kid something big, RWD, and V8. A Crown Vic, a Town Car, a Grand Marquis, a Mark VIII, or a Caprice.

I say get the Mark VIII. Whoever said "Marks are not very reliable" up there is WRONG!!! Marks are very reliable, if maintained properly. There are only a few trouble spots, and most of us know how to take care of those on the cheap. Get him a Mark VIII, a service manual, and a good set of tools. Then when yours has trouble, you can make the kid fix it.

If you get him a Crown Vic, though, he won't have to worry about the air-ride, and insurance will probably be cheaper. You can pick up a used cop car for pretty cheap, too.

I say get the Mark VIII. Whoever said "Marks are not very reliable" up there is WRONG!!!

Well mine wasn't. These cars can give problems in lots of areas.

I never had a problem with mine. 70k trouble free.

What do you guys think of the V6 T-birds?

He seems to be interested in the Crown Vics, and liked a cougar we saw, although he really seems interested in looking at Marks as soon as we find some, we just went to two close by dealers tonight to take a quick look at inventory.

Stay away from 1989-1997 V6 T-Birds and Cougars, they have head gasket problems. The V8 ones are great. Our family has a 1991 V8 (5 liter)Cougar. It never needed repair other than brake and rotor replacement.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

the 3.8 liters have head gasket problems, but are otherwise excellent motors. I have 5 friends with supercharged thunderbirds or cougars. Every one of them has either blown a head gasket, or replaced it as preventative maintenance. But my thunderbird (no supercharger) went 160k with the factory head gasket.

If he likes the 89-97 thunderbirds, find him one with a 4.6L. He can do a lot to that car if he wants to learn how to turn wrenches, or he can leave it stock and drive it to 300,000 miles.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you updated as we find cars.

However, get this: Hubby was kinda pushing to get the kid a Mustang last night (and you guys think *I* spoil the kid). But anyway, I called for insurance rates today, and get this, a 98 GT would cost less to insure than a 98 Mark VIII LSC! The Crown Vic insurance is only like 75% of the cost of the other 2, but they're all in the ball park of what we're paying now, so really, insurance costs won't affect our decision on a car.

Back