79 Trans Am

jayello

Registered
A good friend of mine bought a black on black 79 TA, needs work (bad buy in my opinion). Anyways it origionally had the Pontiac 403 engine in it, like mine. But for some reason the previous owner of it put the Pontiac 350 in it. The guy also left the A/C and heater off of it. So my friend really wanted to eventually put the 403 back in the car.

So he started talking to this company, Turbo Connections (scarry name to start with) and the guy decideds to take a look at his car. Comes back and tells him that his oil pan has a dent in it and that he has a leaky piston ring that is dropping oil onto one of his spark plugs. That his entire 350 engine is junk and that its extremlly damaged. The guy will sell him the 403 and will take his 350 but he doesn't get any credit for it at all.

My friend calls me up last night and starts telling me this and I just go off on him. Telling him he's a fricken idiot and blah blah blah. I told him not to give his engine away to go ahead and buy the 403, drop it in and to sell the 350. Just list that it has a dent in the oil pan and a leaky piston gasket. He keeps saying that he can't do that, that he doesn't want to screw someone over when it has a lot of internal damage.

How the heck would he know whats all happened to it. I say sell it. Does anyone have any reason to why he shouldn't?

RE: 79 Trans Am

Well, if he's gonna give the motor away for free, i'll take it. Bring the car by my house, i'll have it out in a day.

Im selling the 1974 Pontiac 350 in my 1979 Trans Am. (the Olds 403 6.6 litre is long been history)Comes with headers,Edelbrock intake,Edelbrock 6504BBL,Accell ignition,Standard brackets and accessories complete. Running very well. Put new oil pump in when we put the 350 in the trans am. Engine needs standard overhaul,ie: rings, bearings, gaskets and freeze plugs. In car and is running now. Selling due to my 455 going back in where she belongs. (only had engine in there to drive around on while other one was being rebuilt).

I've heard the folks at Turbo Connection aren't entirely competent. Not stupid or shady, necessarily, it's just not somewhere I'd go for advice.

Just FYI,
The 403 engine is made by Olsmobile.
It probably says 6.6 litre on the scoop and has painted valve covers.
The 400 by pontiac says T/A 6.6 on the scoop and has chrome valve covers.

I love those old T/As. I keep trying to convince my dad to let me have his '78. Gold, T-tops, 31,xxx miles, almost perfect condition! But that'll never happen, anyway... I sure as hell wouldn't let someone HAVE a 350 block for free, ESPECIALLY if its rebuildable. A dent in the pan doesn't nececeraly mean anything and rings aren't that hard to deal with either.

Back