Avanti joins "our club"

Sandy

Registered
Avanti Motors has announced that they have "only a few" 2004 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am "doner" cars left to be made into 2004 Avantis. After a couple months of re-tooling a first will take place! After 39 years of building the Avanti II on a GM chassis/engine & running gear, the Avanti for 2005 will be built on a Mustang GT or Mustang Cobra, with a Supercharged V-8. Here's a picture of the Cobra-based 2005 Avanti II ~

http://www.avantisource.com/2005avantirear.jpg

RE: Avanti joins "our club"

I like the Pontiac one better, from the rear at least.

Do they have a front view of that Avanti/Mustang?

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

Sandy,
Do you have an Avanti? That looks interesting.

By the way I corrected the misspelled "Infiniti" in my signature. Thanks for the comment.

Bob :)

No, I always wanted to own an Avanti, but they were always super expensive (as they are today). Back in the 1970's I sold cars for a Dodge dealer, and I was there for a number of years. We were Dodge/Avanti. However, we were required to have 1 Avanti in stock, on the floor, which we did. Therefore, there were no demos! One day I sold it, and the new owner traded in his OLD Avanti ! But dealers could NOT keep the trades, they belonged to Avanti Motor Corporation, and they made arragements to have these trades picked up & trucked back to South Bend, Ind. So.... Sandy waited a day or two and took the dear car home 2 nights & drove it back in the AM. Great, Great car!!
The new ones are $80,000 (Conv.) and $71,000 (Coupe). If you like them, buy the book AVANTI ! ~ It's a great book, with every little detail and very interesting!

Sandy,

I can only wish at this time but maybe one day. I have always admired the specials and since the first Avanti they have been intesting. A friend had an old one and let it go to a restorer a few years ago and that was my last practical chance to have one. Until your post I had virtually forgotten them

Thanks, Bob

Sandy,
Thanks for the site, very interesting car. They have stayed true to the front end over the years.

Bob

I'm trying to offend anyone who likes this car... But I'm wondering a regular fully loaded Trans AM sold for around 32k this "Avanti" sells for 72k more than double that! The car shares the engine, transmission and tons of the interior not to mentions chassis.

http://www.avantimotors.com/images/coupe_studio_r1_c2.jpg

http://www.avantimotors.com/images/interior_2.jpg

Are there any differences besides the little sheetmetal and different seats ??? I mean honestly speaking this is increadibly overpriced. It should be going for 40k at most if not even that. In my opinion I would rather get 2 Trans AMs than 1 Avanti.

maxmk8,
When it comes right down to it your right. The cost is prohibitive. That is why you don't see them on every street corner. I guess that is why I will probably never have one.

Otherwise I put it in the same catogory as the "Near Exotics". Fancy and uncommon but not a practical investment for the average guy.

I would much rather purchase a Mark VIII new again if they still manufactured them. Their price would be $50K or maybe more but what a car you would have, assuming they fixed a few neusance bugs, "Door Ajar" and "No CD".

Keep dreaming, Bob

RE: Avanti joins

Max, I will attempt to reply to you.

The Avanti II of 1966 thru 1991 was built on a variety of different Chevrolet chassis, utilizing their V-8s and trannys and other key elements. Among which were Caprices, El Caminos, Corvettes and Camaros, depending upon the year(s) involved. At that time, the finished Avantis also cost 2 to 2.5 times the price of the doner car.

It's not a case of actually getting $75,000 worth of product. You are really not, as you suspected. What you are paying for is the fact that you are paying for the gigantic cost, R&D and the like of the manufacturer in the fact that so few will be built that the buyer is paying for unbelieveably high amortazation costs. Even a fairly low production Mark VIII sold around 20,000 a year, and shared much with the Thunderbird of the same era, not to mention the Cougar XR-7. However, the Avanti does not enjoy this. AMC (Avanti Motor Corportaion) actually purchased the finished Trans Ams from Pontiac, and removes all exterior body panels, as well as the steering wheel, seats, door panels and fancys them up. BUT the big cost(s) involved were the design, and manufacture of the body panels, and fanning that out over 50-60 cars a year!
What does the buyer get? In one word: EXCLUSIVE ENTRY into a very rare car, with a storied past, that evokes memories of the original, of which there are thousands of fans, who want modern day performance, safety and convenience, wrapped in a modern day design of what Avanti might have been today. There are lots & lots of people out there with the ability to pay the fiddler to dance with this car. (and) AMC doesn't need all that many to turn a profit, at those sales prices.
They do pour over the car and make it perfect, and pay HUGE attention to detail. I understand that the leather in them costs more per car, that the leather in Jaguars. The carpeting is mouton wool and the "wood" is real from Behr of Germany. So, it does have "the goods" ~ With next-to-no dollars for advertising & promotion, and a mere 6 dealers in the USA (two in Chicago - I have no clue as to why) it's a safe bet that sales are not going to increase. If they do, I think the price would come down. They are running out of Trans Ams and the next one will be on both a Mustang GT and a SVT Cobra platform, breaking tradition with GM.
It is well known in Avanti circles that the very best Avanti II (s) were the 1989s. They hovered around $48,000. They sold 200 of them, 150 convertibles & 50 2-door coupes.
When I worked at the Dodge dealer (Dodge/Avanti) we sold like 4 a year, or about one every 90 days. The buyers all fit the same mold. they were 50-ish, wealthy, and wanted that which was expensive, **BUT** that other people did not have. A Cadillac, Imperial, Lincoln, or Jaguar was in every driveway of their neighborhood...it was "nothing special" ~ ~ they wanted what the neighbors DIDN'T have. (This was 1971 and BMW, Mercedes and Porsche had not come "of age" yet). One of the Avantis I sold went to a famous SOAP manufacturer, and he flew to Paris to obtain a certain type of velvet for the upholstery that he wanted. He had to purchase an entire "BOLT" of the material (enought to do 100 cars! Powder Blue brushed velvet it was in a Rolls Royce Silver Blue called "Caspian Wind" (I'll never forget). I waited 7 months for that commission!

Sorry to go on so long, but you deserved the best answer I could give, and I know Avantis !!!!

1989: (With Optional Baronni Wire Wheels) Porsche Guards Red - Fountainbleu Creme Leather
http://www.ploung.com/Avanti 05.jpg

2004: Corvette's Bright Yellow
http://www.avantimotors.com/images/convert_gallery_r1_c2_f3.jpg

Thanks for the long reply Sandy :)! Yea thats what i figured as well, it is a car that was made for people that wanted something different, something that people are going to stop and take a second look at. Amanti does that job fairly well, since you can't really confuse them with anything else out there. Hmm well we'll see if they stick around for a while, i wouldn't be suprised if they did, since its been quite some time since they started.

Amanti is a beautiful looking car. I am unsure whom you meant to watch if they stick around, thought. Avanti or Amanti (Kia) ???
I think you meant aVanti ! I think they'll be with us for some time. If I ever won the lottery, good chance I'd satisfy the dream and order one (on a Cobra) platform...

IF I win the N.J. Lottery:
Avanti Convertible
Black Body
Black Cambria Cloth Top
White Leather, trimmed in Black Accents
Baronni Wires on Perillis - 18"
All Options.

On the Trans Am version (2002-03 & 04) they used the WS6 motor and offered an optional Twin Screw Vortec Supercharger. I don't know if any were built. I understand they will NOT offer this on the Cobra platform car. BTW, the Ram-Air ducts were mounted UNDER the front air dam, so as not to alter the hood's design. I don't know how effective they were, since there was ALOT of plumbing involved to bring the cold air up and into...The Beast.

I see Avantis are still ugly as all hell...

Sorry Ron, I don't agree. I think that they are beautiful. The Smithsonian Institute has one on exhibit, as does the Art Institute of Chicago. Must be a reason ...

Back