Wife's Window Wows

scotty96lsc

Registered
Well, the firebird has a driver's side electronic window problem. Rolling up very slow, sometimes not at all.
Dealer says it will be $400 to fix. He hasn't tested it yet but it sounds like motor is going.
Does this sound right? Is this job hard to do to do one's self?
I know I can get a new motor for the window on auction sites from anywhere from $30 to $50.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RE: Wife's Window Wows

I don't know much about this stuff, but check to see if you also need new somethingorothers (I think it begins with an R, but I truly can't remember). We replaced the window motors twice in the Grand Am, and the 2nd time we replaced something else, which they said could have been the reason that the motors burned out the 2nd time.

Sorry, I don't know what they were and I don't know where any of the receipts went to for that car.

oh, Trixie - I think you mean "regulator". For whatever reason, Typical Pontiac problem. Get the motor from e-bay, and lube the regulator well in the process of replacment.

Hee Hee - yeah, regulator sounds right. :7

We replaced so many things on the car that time, I don't remember what everything was called. :+

I replaced the regulator and motor on my wifes Grand Prix. Like you said the dealer wanted about $350.00 for the parts then the labor. Well since I needed the window up now I bought the part from the dealer and changed it myself. It is a real easy job. Just remove the door panel and you will be able to see what bolts need to be removed and/or loosened. Easy DIY job, but if you can buy the part off eBay much much cheaper.

Thanks all. I guess I could look up on how to take off the panel and do the job myself. Wait a minute, me and hand tools -- like water and gasoline, we don't mix. I bet my wife could do it.:7

Back