Anyone know much about GM 700R4s?

WackyWRZ

Registered
Hey all, I am trying to help a friend of mine with his '91 Camaro RS. It has a SBC 305 and is an auto with a TH700R4 tranny. First the reverse and 2nd gear went out, which I heard is controlled by a 2-R band or something thats connected. Well, now the tranny has dropped to only having first. Question is would an tranny say from a 1987 Caprice (305) work? Would there be any differences like a "short" or "long" version of the tranny? Or any wiring differences? Thanks for any info!!

RE: Anyone know much about GM 700R4s?

Anyone know much about GM 700R4s?

I know I've had two over the years and both went to hades in a hand basket.

Yeah, I had an '85 S-10 Blazer and I went through 3 in 4 years. And that was the one with the notorious 2.8L V6. We were going to convert it to a 3spd TH350 or TH400, but he thinks it'll kill the MPG worse than it is.

I never understood GM - they went from a bullet-proof TH350 to the 700R4? 'Course, look what we got in the AOD/AODE/4R70W group from previous offerings. Technology at it's best? ::uh::

The GM700R4 is actually a good transmission once you mod it. Just like ours, it only comes with "just enough" to get it through the life of the car normally driven. I went through three in my old IROC-Z. (i should of NEVER sold that car.) Very hard to find a nice one with T Tops nowadays.
Anyways..its the cheap ass sprag they use i was told by my tranny builder. Its made of nylon for a critical gear part, ill never understand. I kept stripping mine out with power launches from the 5.7 litre. Also the clutchpack and bands are crap and wear out prematurely. Have these replaced with hi po parts. Also they make a bigger hardened tailshaft i think they used in the 700R4's that came in the silverados P/U's. Im just passing on info i learned from my builder from what i remember him telling me back then.
B&M and alot of other manufacturers make very heavy duty transmissions for replacement if needed. There great cause they have that OD so you can run a steep gear in the rearend. Before i bought my turbo400 for my 79 Trans Am i was going to put one in to replace the pathetic 350 turbo hydramatic (of wich i went through three). Just do a search for race transmissions builders. Alot of options will pop up. I was going to order mine from Summitt and i belive JEGS has one or two available also.
Ohh well...i was going to put a pic of my old baby on here, but the attachments thingy on here must be down now for repairs or something.
1995 DK BLUE Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK BLUE Chevrolet 1500
SOLD ;( 1979 WHITE Trans AM w/455
2004 BLACK HONDA CBR 600RR

Back