How Do you React?

Narwhal

Registered
I just got my license so I have lots of driving questions. i know you guys have been driving many years. I talked to a high performance driving teacher and he asked me this question so now I'll ask you. Suppose you're driving your big Lincoln 70mph on a narrow country road with lots of traffic, there's a car 3 car lengths in back of you, you swerve to miss a huge pot hole and end up with your 2 passenger side tires on the soft gravel shoulder. The car behind you doesn't slow down. There's a 4 inch drop from the road surface to the soft gravel shoulder, what do you do?

RE: How Do you React?

maintain speed and steer back onto the road. be ready to countersteer if necessary.

SLEEPER, how did you answer that question? I asked 17 people, you're the 18th and you got it right, WOW. The high performance driving instructor said most guys would ease off the gas or brake and try and steer back on the road, but the proper thing to do is "no brake, but maintain and neutral throttle and steer back on the road"!

Where did you learn that? Have you ever had to do it?

Just instinct, really. I've dropped a wheel off the side of a road before, but usually not with a four inch drop.

A lot of people get into trouble, on all different kinds of vehicles, by getting out of the gas at the wrong time. boats, four wheelers, motorcycles, PWC's, you name it, you can lose control or cause yourself serious problems by getting out of the gas at the wrong time.

Car full of highschoolers around our area a couple years ago... same thing happened and they died when the driver jerked the wheel and braked trying to get back on and got hit by a dump truck... Usually roads the have 4 inch drops off the side have slower speed limits..

Back