Do You Stop after You Hit Something?

Narwhal

Registered
Do you stop if you hit something small like a cat or pet? I was jogging last month and saw the guy who delivers newspapers hit a cat that ran out from infront of a parked car. He kept cruising after he hit it. Monday morning I was running and I saw the paper guy stopped loading papers in a machine and told him he had hit a cat last month. He denied hitting it and told me it was probably a 4x4 that looked like his that ran it over. I told him he's the only 4x4 on the road in our neighborhood at 6am and I saw him hit it,I've seen him every morning for the last year. He told me he would have known if he hit a cat because he hit a rabbit once with his radio on and he noticed it.

Well, anyway, should I have told him he hit the cat? The weird thing is I've seen the guy almost every morning on my run for the last year, now after I told him about the cat there seems to be a new guy on the route.

RE: Do You Stop after You Hit Something?

Does it really matter if he hit the cat? Did it belong to someone and did it have a tag??? Stuff like this happens all the time. Well to answer your question you should have told him if the cat belonged to someone.

It would all depend. I've hit a few animals, usually i don't stop. I've had cats run out and under my car when i'm going 40+, and i just keep driving. But a golden retriever ran in front of me when i was going about 30 and i slammed on the brakes. The dog was okay, so i kept going.

yeah the cat belonged to someone and had a collar/tag on. after he hit it I stopped jogging and the cat dragged itself up to the mailbox making a funny noise(like gagging and hissing, weird) and just lied down, I thought it was dead, I kind of didn't know what to do so I just tried to put it out of my mind and kept jogging. it turns out the cat belonged to Mrs Kessler. my mom said mrs kessler spent $900 at the vet cuz the cat had a crushed jaw and they had to amputate one leg but the cat died from an infection caused from getting hit so bad.
dave, this guy must have been doing 35-40mph when he hit it cuz the limit is 25mph and he really moves FAST! once he went by an electronic meter that measured his speed on the ligthed screen at 45mph in a 25 zone, FAST! dave, lucky you don't stop after you hit cats cuz you don't want to see a cat after its been hit at 40+

anyway I figure the newspaper guy doesn't want to have to pay the vet bill or have to buy them a new cat so thats why he denied it and got someone else to do his route. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone I saw him hit it.there's no way he didn't know he hit it, even in a big lincoln he would have felt it.

Back