Bronco II Fix Today - Transmission Modulator Value

N

Neilster

There's a few BII owners in the membership so I thought I'd share this with you.

I finally got around to asking my friendly mechanic about why I seem to lose transmission fluid, and it's not leaking all that bad. Engine oil leaks, that's another story. Recently, upon start up, there would be a poof of white smoke as well, which I was attributing to old age (187K Km) or possibly valve guides. Then, one night while under the hood poking around, I noticed that the vacuum connection on the air plenum was a little punky (it's a 2.9 l V6 by the way). I pulled it off to inspect and voila, transmission fluid poured out of the line. This sucker had become a tranny fluid pump :eek:

The culprit turned out to be the transmission modulor valve. A relatively inexpensive part, but a bit of an itch with "b" to change, as it is tucked up beside the tranny along side the exhaust pipe. To get at it, we dropped the transmission support and waited for the exhaust to cool. Then we had more room to get at it.

Funny thing, shifting was not affected. I'm going to inspect the spark plugs tomorrow and probably change them. Maybe add some fuel injector cleaner at next fill up.

Just glad it was figured out before further damage was done...

Back