Painting the window trim

beerdog

Registered
I am thinking of blacking out my chrome window trim. I know a few of you out there are body shop pros. Any recommendations on how to do it? I have found some info on the web, but wanted to ask here. If I do this I will post a progress thread.

Getting it to stick will be the trick. Did you ever think of covering it with that vinyl stuff they cover cars with? If you don't like it down the road you can just peal it off.
Or just do it redneck style and get some color matching duct tape :D

it worked in "Johnny Dangerously" :D

Attachments

• 600full-johnny-dangerously-screenshot.jpg
    600full-johnny-dangerously-screenshot.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

3M makes a ton of colors for their electric tape.

BlackiceLSC has done it to his faded 94(I think) Black/Black with peeling and faded chrome trim. He was in a car show with me and you couldn't tell. ;)

I was kidding, not a chance I would do that. I've got extra trim I'm sending out to powder coat black for my Black 98

Isn't the trim plastic? Can that be powder coated. Plus the quarter windows are a complete unit. Could the entire window assembly go through a powder curing oven?

Isn't the trim plastic? Can that be powder coated. Plus the quarter windows are a complete unit. Could the entire window assembly go through a powder curing oven?

I'll know today, I have all the trim ready except the rear windows. I'll see what it takes to separate the trim if possible in a couple hours.

If the side trim is indeed plastic, I doubt it can be powder coated since the oven see's 400+ degrees. Then I'll be off to the paint shop. I'll keep you updated.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The windows are bolted and glued in if I remember correctly.

you wont be able to get it powdercoated. one there is too much plastic attached to the trim, and second, a quality powder shop wont powdercoat over chrome until it is soda blasted, powder peels right off chrome it will not bond well.

haha electrical tape is the only way to go...

haha electrical tape is the only way to go...

Cant powdercoat them, the rubber will melt and or the plastic. There held in there by a set of nuts going around the window and 3m looking black sticky tar tape. Remove the nuts and wack it CAREFULLY taps around outer edge with RUBBER mallet. They come out easy.

Just have them etched with chemical and use that 3m vinyl gloss paint they use on chrysler and ford window sills for the pillars. The same paint is on the newer mini vans too on door window sills. Heres some pics of a set.car pics 015.jpg

car pics 016.jpg

car pics 017.jpg

Back