Going to lose my door handle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to lose my door handle

Just noticed it. My exterior drivers side door handle feels like it's going to fall off. Still works, but lifts up on an angle. and it's kind of floppy. Recommendations anybody? Is it doomed to fall off? I see a post on fixing a handle. Is that the path I need to follow?

Indeed. I'd start scouting around for a replacement, and treat yours as gently as possible in the mean time.

I've never had the pleasure of replacing one, but have read plenty about it, here.
    Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
    2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Thanks Tixer, I'll probe into the issue this weekend, and probably get a new handle on order in case things go South. Maybe I'll get a few pics of whatever is broken.

Comment

Yep, the forward "arm" has snapped in two. Have a factory new one ordered in for $84. Watch me break it during installation. Anyone ever install a new handle into the assembly?

Comment

Very nice.

Although I've never replaced the handle, I did replace the keypad once. I assume the handle isn't much more work. The big thing to remember is that if you've never removed the door panel before, be careful. There are only a couple screws to remove, and the whole thing lifts "up" about an inch, and moves toward you. It requires basically no "force," at all. Many have assumed they are secured with the old plastic "mushroom" pins, and yank straight out..

Of course, since you've already diagnosed the break in your handle, I suspect you've figured this part out already.

There's some good reading on the topic, here:
          http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...dle-just-broke
          Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
          2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the link. As for the advise on pulling the door panel, thanks, but too late,...... couple years back, I was one of those who thought it had mushroom pins.

Comment

Ha! Don't worry. I've been there too... My first cars were all largely 80's rides, and they all worked that way. Who'd have thought they would come up with something better??
              Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
              2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Hey, ... Hoping someone can help me out here. I finally got my lazy butt around to addressing my broken door handle, and I can see that the handle itself is nor broken. The pivoting pin is missing. Any suggestions on a replacement? Just to test it, I slid a bolt through it and it worked fine. I imagine the threads of a bolt would slowly chew things up. I didn't even bother to look for the missing/broken pin.
                Without any of you suggestions, I was thinking of nail or bolt shank sized to fit snug with a micro hole for a spring pin to secure it.
                I was actually set on going to Home Depot to find a suitable pin,.... started the car, put it in reverse ,, and blu the rear brake line without moving an inch! An hour ago I was on the highway in heavy braking action!! There truly is a God. Looks like rental for me and resume work next weekend. Any suggestions on the pin?

Comment

The pin is probably in the bottom of the door, I had one fall out once.

Bill
                  1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                  1997 White LSC 135k miles
                  1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                  1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                  1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

I didn't think to look for it because I assumed it broke. What holds it in place?

Comment

If I remember it's just a push on locking washer type of retainer.

Bill
                      1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
                      1997 White LSC 135k miles
                      1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
                      1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
                      1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Comment

It was a while back, but let me share my cheap / dirty fix for the rear idler pin on my door handle. Not proud of it, but it worked and could help in a jam. I found the pin in the bottom of the door, but not the retainer. Looking for material I could fashion a new pin from, with a cotter pin hole, I found a 5/32 hitch pin. I slid it through the two holes as much as I could and it fit good. Then before constructing a new pin, I thought, woe, will this hitch pin work as it is? I spread the pin about 1/2 open in a vise, and BOOM, it snapped right in there. It was a temporary fix, but its been working fine ever since. I know it's trashy, and I'm not proud of it. But if you need a fast fix, there it is.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good fix to me! Thanks for the update!
                          Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                          2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Working...
                          X