No announcement yet.

Going to the track March 4, 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going flat and steady still gets 24 mpg. Ok for an old girl.
    I hit the reset in my driveway pulling out. So over 21 avg.for over 400 miles including going down the track and i kinda leaned on the old girl coming home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by germansheperd; 03-06-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

In your "going to strap it to a Mustang dyno" thread, I wrote this:

Based on the first calculator, your 260.5 hp at the rear wheels should be about 325 at the crank....that's a 45 hp gain from pulleys? hmmmm

if that is the case, you should run about a mid 13.50 @ 101-ish mph if the car weighs about 3850 + 200 lbs driver

Those are great times for a stock motor with nothing but pulleys. But no where near what the "on paper" would say. That's why we run 'em on the track, not on paper.

Well done! The 60 foots helped a ton...although you didnt like them, the best I could ever muster was a 2.2x - 2.4x in my stock-geared 94.

Like JP said....4.10's-4.30's and a better converter and you'll be 13's all day

did you manually shift and hold 1st and 2nd to 6000 and then click in to drive at about 1150 feet?
      or did you leave it in DRIVE and let it shift itself?

when I ran a friend's 97 LSC with a chip and JMOD, it would shift in to third (when in drive) at about 1150 feet.
      In my 94, it would shift in to third about 20 feet past the stripe,, depending on launch traction.
      These cars are CRYING for gears....IF one wishes to 1/4 mile drag race them.
      Last edited by BlackIceLSC; 03-12-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I left it in drive. My car shifts at 6700 each time.
        It went into 3rd at approximately 1100'.
        Yep if i was interested in a more drag race oriented car I'd do a set of Kooks and a full 2.5" exhaust with 4.1s, but this is just a driver.

Comment

Well I already said it wasn't going to run mid 13s BUT I am honestly surprised that it even ran 14.3 That's very untypical. Nice work. I don't know why you are mad about the 60 ft times. Your car ran hard as hell for what it is already and it has the crappy stock converter and highway gears. You know what my short times were at 4100# with 392rwhp and 4.10s on stock converter and closed up exhaust? 2.1s and 2.0s. Quit your whining and be happy. Your car runs abnormally fast.
          Kirk <My name ^Things I say

-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged 10.980@122.56

Stock Bottom End Mark VIII Recordholder Supercharged Class

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I wanted a 1.9 60' and a 13.9. Do I think I can find another .1 sure, but w/o some more gear i am convinced its just not going to happen.
            These cars are just to heavy for a little motor with its power way up top not to have a lot of gear if you want to go down the track.
            All in all it did ok. Its a great driver, i enjoy driving it. Maybe one day ill do a set of 4.1s.

Comment

6700 rpm's is a late shift for STOCK at WOT it should complete the shift at 6000 (+/- 200) rpm so unless your tranny is shifting extremely slow (flaring) 6700 is WAY late.
              If JMOD tranny, and stock PCM, it should complete the shift at 6000
              Although I've heard that the factory tach can be "off" in the upper rpm range as well.
              LSC? 3.27's? I missed that part....stock base gears, 6000 rpm shift = trapping at 5850 rpms (approx) in 2nd gear and shifting in to 3rd just past the stripe.

I too thought your 60's were great for a stocker on street tires.

The "art of the launch" is key in these cars

also, staging as shallow as you can = poor 60 foot, but a lower ET
              creep in as far as you dare on the second bulb = lower 60 ft, but slower ET.
              Last edited by BlackIceLSC; 03-18-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackIceLSC View Post
                I too thought your 60's were great for a stocker on street tires.
                Same here.
                JP

Comment

All in all the car runs nice. It runs great, goes nice down the highway, and will get out of its own way when you drop the hammer.
                  I agree that these cars really need 4.1s, the 3.73s that I put in just aren't quite enough but the car still gets great fuel economy on a road trip.
                  For a 20 year old car it still holds its own in all categories.

Comment

So what are the mods?

gears (3.73) and pullies?

Comment

Car has 3.73s, Circle D converter, UD pulleys, J-Mod, and a dyno tune.

Comment

LOL! You let the cat out of the bag buddy. I was just talking to another mark8 guy that is in the game for a lot of years and we were talking about your times with "just pullies" and a tune and he said you're full of sh**. Why are you trying to troll on here dude? Lol. Now it all makes sense as far as the ET is concerned. The dyno numbers are still trash though because you're not trapping 102mph. Sorry.
                        Last edited by KStromberg; 03-21-2017, 02:40 AM.
                        Kirk <My name ^Things I say

-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged 10.980@122.56

Stock Bottom End Mark VIII Recordholder Supercharged Class

sigpic

Comment

Explain cat out of the bag?

Comment

Car has 3.73s, Circle D converter, UD pulleys, J-Mod, and a dyno tune.

That cat

I agree...the 4000 lb 20 year old car with a N/A engine, wide gear ratio transmission and chock-full of luxury can hold its own.
                            while low 15's/high 14's is nothing to brag about these days for a STOCK car, it's darn quick for a car that was mostly built to get wealthy older men to the country club in style.

add some tasteful, and unique modifications to them, and re-purpose their chassis and they can run with muscle cars that were purpose built for the track.

4.10's, or even 4.30's, pullies, tune, JMOD, converter, sticky tires, weight reduction, and even some boost, and they can surprise and thrill many gear heads for under the price of a newer "muscle car" (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc) and be owned//paid for, cheap to insure and still get better MPG than those cars do!
                            Last edited by BlackIceLSC; 03-25-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Jeez no wonder this place is always so busy. Must be all the Comradery amongist MarkVII owners. Can you feel the love!

Comment

Working...
                              X