• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are a BEAST!
    98 LSC Torreador Red
    "This fire's thrills per BTU are off the charts!"

Comment

Originally posted by KStromberg View Post
      I have a wild idea for next year. Same boost, but wastegated. I gotta do some research and see if I will have belt slip on a 6-rib setup if I pulley way down. I got a few more weight ideas as well. I think I can get it to go 10.50s

Either wastegated or I might just say screw it and put the 3.33 on it which should produce 15 psi.

The wastegate setup is gonna make the boost come on much more like a PD blower and significantly raise torque sooner in the curve and overall. My concern with a pulley down wastegate setup is smacking the axles so hard they no longer hold on.

But let's be real. There is probably a lot of things inside my engine that are playing a game of tug-o-war. LOL
      I mentioned this years ago to Mike Schultz when he was modifying The Mark.

In theory it bring more overall power across the entire power band. You would need to look at the boost curve on the dynochart. If it were me, I would start with less boost and and inch your way back up to near current peak boost level.
      JP

Comment

Unfortunately, we attempted lockup again and it really appears as if this converter is just simply not going to hold lockup. When I made my first couple passes on the lockup tune it would lockup in 3rd gear and about a half-second later just let go again. Since it wan't holding, all that was doing for me was pulling my boost back for a split second and slowing me down. It immediately mph'd quicker on the next pass with a slightly quicker ET on the unlocked tune so we left it unlocked for the remainder of the day.
        I believe not being able to lock up the converter is costing you in ET but it may actually be saving you as well since engine load is going to be somewhat less.

I was advised once not to even worry about lock-up and just run an open converter. How well that works depends on gearing, tire size and top end rpms. For now, I'm running a lock-up converter but you have convinced me to loosen it up more.
        JP

Comment

Driller,

What is your stall rated at now? I couldn't believe how much more footbrake I got. Also after looking at my 11.12 pass video again, this thing is closer to about a 6700 rpm fallback on the gear shifts compared to 6000 it was at next year. 700 rpms deeper in the boost. No wonder.....

Does your car make power all the way to 7000 rpms? They cut mine at 6800 on the dyno but it was STILL PULLING. I bet I was around 480rwhp at the track shifting at darn near 7k.

I think it will be all positive results for you. Let me know how that works out. #allthestall
          Kirk <My name ^Things I say

-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged 10.980@122.56

Stock Bottom End Mark VIII Recordholder Supercharged Class

sigpic

Comment

Congratulations, Kirk! Awesome job! For some reference, my nephew went for the stock engine title in his manual trans 2v 4.6 Mustang a few years back. He made it to 526 whp / 5xx tq using a single 62 when the oil pump failed. He replaced it with a built teksid. Good luck!

Mike

The Mark - 98 LSC Generously Modified

Comment

Driller,

What is your stall rated at now? ...
              Does your car make power all the way to 7000 rpms?...
              Current stall converter is 'rated' @ 4200 and data logs show a change in acceleration around 4400 launching from 2K. Circle D has said they can loosen it up a bit more but admitted it's almost maxed out.

'Peak' HP dyno'd around 6,700 rpms but the HP stays relatively flat out to almost 8,000 rpms. Current shift point target is 7,500 rpms.

Here's a pic of the last three back to back pulls on the dyno for visual reference...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	473278

I'm still awestruck over your 4K footbrake launch.

If I could get the Blue Flame to launch at 3K with a 1.6 sixty foot, I'd be all giggles.
              JP

Comment

Your shift points are up there and definitely welcoming to a lot more stall. You should talk to someone at Circle D. Someone who understands that you want a max effort setup on the converter. I am no pro and only speculating here but I'm almost tempted to say you could go with even more stall than me. Like 5500.
                Kirk <My name ^Things I say

-2002 Mercury Grand Marquis

-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged 10.980@122.56

Stock Bottom End Mark VIII Recordholder Supercharged Class

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X