Some recent fixes - Blend Door and Coffee Holder

N

Neilster

While it's a little early to tell for sure how long these fixes will work, nonetheless, I've gotten to know my Mark VIII a lot better recently.

Thanks to a hint that removing the Message Display will reveal the elusive 4th mounting bolt, I think I may have fixed the split lever. Basically, I needed to remove some dash pieces first, then the message display. Now I could easily see the split. I was able to position the lever so that the split closed up. Then I was able to put a plastic tie wrap around the lever where it was split and tightened it right up. To keep it from coming off, I then applied a dab of 5 minute epoxy and let it dry. To my delight, I seem to have temperature control back. Let's hope it lasts. If not, then I still have the new part on hand to replace the unit.

As for the coffee holder, I had the console out anyway while I considered the blend door fix. While it was out, I decided to see if the coffee holder could be fixed. I disassembled the console into its main components, (coffee holder/ashtray, rear heater plenum, storage unit, storage cover) then split up the coffee holder assy. It breaks down into three sub components. Yes, you have to break some plastic to do this. Once apart, I was able to reattach the broken post mount and support flap with some epoxy reinforcement. The only part I lost was one of the return springs, but I was able to improvise with another spring I found in one of my many "junk drawers". Then I reassembled the unit using some screw technology. The good news is, if I have to fix it again, I can probably do so now that I know how to.

Let's hope these McGiver's last!

RE: Some recent fixes - Blend Door and Coffee Holder

That @#$%&* cupholder is a real pain to disassemble & repair. I know I don't want to do it again!

Week before last, the wind caught my driver's door & flung it wide open with a "crack!". Damaged the paint on the leading edge and bent the door slightly - now it doesn't close with a solid "thunk" and the leading edge of the door doesn't line up with the fender. I guess it will be time for the body shop come spring. Fix all the dents & complete repaint.

With all the stone chips I get driving the 401 and 407, I was thinking flames in epoxy paint - whaddaya think?:+

George

I feel your pain!!!!

Neil, congrats on the repairs. When does Shade Tree Mechanic start filming in Oshawa?

George, sorry to hear about your door. Your car is hot enough without flames.

McGiver method is a trait that I really dont know how people can live without. I pride myself on my ability to McGiver. It has saved me alot of money and downtime over the years. Awesome post. I always like to see that people aren't afraid to attempt to repair things.

BTW, I wonder if the show McGiver knew back in its existence that this many years later, it's name would carry on. Perhaps we will see the term "McGivering" in the webster's Dictionary... Oh, and I think it's spelled "McGuiver", but who cares. Great fixes!!!
BlackIceLSC-VP LODNCA
http://mark8.org/lodnca
94 Black/Black M8
95 Champagne/Saddle M8

Thanks. Here's a link to a Richard Dean Anderson home page - The star of, you guessed it: MACGYVER

http://rdanderson.com/

The legend lives on...

Back