Announcement

Collapse

CALL FOR CALENDAR PICS!

It's time to submit pics for the 2019 Lincolns of Distinction Car Club Calendar!

Send me pics of your Lincoln! Any Lincoln. ALL your Lincolns!!

Email them to me at ~

j_a_peters at usa dot net

PLEASE PUT "CALENDAR PICS" IN THE SUBJECT LINE!!!

Please send HIGH RESOLUTION pics, the bigger, the better quality the calendar will be! At an absolute minimum it should be 1200 x 1600.

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...-calendar-pics
See more
See less

Power door lock problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power door lock problem

Recently my drivers door lock stopped working with the button and remote. It still works with the key and physically pushing it down or lifting it up, what do I need to do?

Sounds like the door lock actuator needs to be replaced. They are available from Rock Auto and parts stores. You would obviously need to remove the door panel for access. I've replaced them on Mark VII's before but not on a Mark VIII but I'm sure the process is similar. The actuator is likely riveted in place and if so you would need to drill out the rivet and use an appropriate bolt to fasten the replacement in place.
    JP

Comment

great where's Jeremi when I need someone to do stuff I don't want to do

Comment

Still in D-Town, I presume.. I'm lucky in that the only thing I've ever had to do inside the door of these things is replace the keypad for the keyless entry.

I know you've swapped a handle or two however, so you do have some experience. presuming the passenger side still works, I would be suspicious of either the lock actuator itself, or (less likely) a break in the wiring harness as it goes into the door.

Probably the place to start is to pop the door panel, and unplug the lock actuator motor. Probe the leads to the connector with your most convenient voltmeter or test light, and toggle the lock button a few times. See what happens. Assuming you see power there, I'd just replace the actuator.

Back on my old '89, which I (hope?) used a completely different design, I did experience many failures. They were pretty well exposed to the elements inside the door, and tended to rust out.
        Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
        2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

I'm sure it's that and yes I've replaced a few door handles, successfully I might add. But the anger that goes with it may not be worth the time spent. Plus I have so many other things to do. Like fixing this place all the time.

Comment

Stop over anytime. We'll take a crack at it.

Also. Thanks for fixing this place all the time. I do appreciate it.
            Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
            2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Lol anything for you mike

Comment

This one's on me. I'll even buy the beer.
                Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
                2001 Dodge Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X