New Member from the Motorcity

FoMoCoNo1

Registered
Hello fellow Lincoln Lovers. I would just like to start off my introduction by saying I am and always have been a Ford/Lincoln guy. I am from Detroit so your choice of a Big Three favorite is always up for scrutiny especially if it's not GM. I joined this website because I was able to get my hands on a 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII. Car has 105 k orig. Miles interior is 9 out of 10 body is 7.7 out of 10. My brother actually traded his 460 with trans and a 390 for this car knowing that it had a blown head gasket. His buddy and him decided that they would try to repair it themselves after pulling the hood, alternator, electrical, vaccum lines, fuel lines, draining fluids, pulling fan, belts, ect. My brother decided to buy himself a home and invest his time and money into his home, this ment that he was going to just scrap this beautiful car and be done with it.. I offered to take it off his hands and bring it back to life! The car came with the Gasket set a new power steering pressure line and a Chilton Service repair manual. I am a novice mechanic at best never swapped a motor or trans but have tools and the willingness to get the beauty back on the road where she belongs! After reading the Chilton repair manual and online research I realized just how big of a job this is to repair a blown head gasket. Called around to shops and quotes stayed between 3 and 5 grand. I decided the best route to take would to buy a motor and swap. Take the orig 105 k motor and work on that in my spare time while I drop in this 96 lincoln motor I have with 30k miles. Now I have realized that it doesnt make life that much easier trying to swap motors. True, the head gasket repair calls for 30 hrs labor and motor swap calls for 12 hrs but I have seen that you can not just simply take the motor out from the top, you have to take it out from the bottom by dropping the K frame. I really would feel more comfortable taking the motor out from the top and putting the new motor in from the top. Is this a bad idea? Help!!!

Back