tire dressing

bradhays

Registered
What's a good long lasting tire dressing?

I used to use this stuff called Wipe New - Tires but it's since been discontinued. There was a process. First you soaped and scrub cleaned the tire, then let dry. Then you don a 3M chemical filter cartridge mask, because no joke this stuff was noxious, then you applied just a teeny bit to the provided sponge and applied to the tire. Go around doing all 4 then then come back and do it again.

The black lasted for a good long while...couple months before you had to do it again.

Is there anything like this still out there on the market?

I like the gel type myself, no particular brand. Apply with a sponge and allow to semi-dry, then wipe down to a low gloss.

Your stuff sounds pretty cool, but my approach is quite similar to Driller's.

I think I have the Macguire's "high gloss" spray bottle. I'll give the tires a quick spray, and wipe it down with a rag or a sponge to take the edge off.

It's funny you point that out. I was fairly sure I had it wrong, but I said to myself "they're owned by 3M now, and 3M is Scottish" and went with it

I think they're both pronounced the same anyways.

I ran across my detail bag and found the product I currently use is Meguiar's "Endurance" Tire Gel.

Thanks for all the replies. Does the gel type tend to stay on longer? The wipe new stuff I used to use was so obnoxious of a solvent that I think it actually penetrated the rubber somewhat and that's how it lasts so long.

I swear by Zaino tire dressing. It's water based so no worries about sling onto the body, it lasts a very long time, it's not too shiny but gives the tire a deep rich black satin finish. I also use it to dress the engine hoses.

And yes been hearing good things about that 303 Aerospace. What is that stuff exactly and how else it is used in auto care?

Rene and Brad turned me on to the "No Touch" brand tire spray over the weekend at Carlisle. Apparently available most everywhere, and the shine lasted better than the Meguiar's I've been using. It looked good enough the next day that I didn't feel compelled to go over the tires a second time.

I'll probably be adding a can of that to the arsenal. Brad said that it's important to get the "foam" kind. (if there's more than one on the shelf, I suppose.)

I've heard of a few die-hards here using the 303 Aerospace spray on the air suspension components during winter storage. Given the use case, it's likely a good product. I've never tried it myself, however.

Back