Which lane of a multi-lane highway is the inside lane?

Which lane of a multi-lane highway is the inside lane?

• Total voters

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
Inside or Outside?

Ok, so while having turkey with my people, a driving debate arose. My father feels that if you are driving on a multi lane highway, the inside lane would be the furthest right hand lane, i.e. the lane next to the brake down lane. Consequently the outside lane is the far left passing lane.

Now, I would have said (and did repeatedly) that in inside lane is in fact the high speed or passing lane and that the outside lane is the furthest right hand lane, next to the break down lane.

As it turns out, everyone in my family thought the inside lane would be either on one side or the other, no one thought it would be the center most lane on a road of three or more lanes.

What do all of you think?

RE: Which lane of a multi-lane highway is the inside lane?

The inside lane is the far left hand lane. I'm assuming you're in the US where we drive on the right side of the road. If driving where you drive on the left hand side, the inside lane would be on the right...

[link:www.gally.net/leavings/00/0087.htm|Click Here for explanation]

Well, although you may feel differently Paul, last time I checked Massachusetts was still within the United States :D

I would agree that if I was outside the US, say on Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket the inside lane might be the right hand lane. But then again, they don’t have highways on either island, and the fastest posted speed limit is 45MPH, or was that KPH... I forget... :p

-J :7
www.bradleyreport.net

duh the inside lane is the innner most lane and the outer is the farest out from the centerline of the road.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
duh the inside lane is the innner most lane and the outer is the farest out from the centerline of the road.
[/div]

yup.

Here is an easier way to describe it. The median lane is the left lane, and the curb lane is the right lane. This way nobody gets confused.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

The answer is easy enough if the road is straight, but what if the road curves? You can be on the inside lane on one curve and be in the outside lane on the next opposite curve, even if you stayed in the same lane.

Alexander
President
Lincolns of Distinction

The answer is easy enough if the road is straight, but what if the road curves? You can be on the inside lane on one curve and be in the outside lane on the next opposite curve, even if you stayed in the same lane.
[/div]

I'm starting to get a headache.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote [/strong] The answer is easy enough if the road is straight, but what if the road curves? You can be on the inside lane on one curve and be in the outside lane on the next opposite curve, even if you stayed in the same lane.[/div]I'm starting to get a headache.
[/div]Maybe there's a Doctor in the house. :D

Back