E-mail notifications

Trixie

Staff member
I am not receiving e-mail notifications even though I set my user preferences to receive them.

Your settings appear to be correct.

The system settings appear to be correct... except perhaps this:

Use Mailqueue System {Set to YES}

When enabled, subscription emails generated by your site will be processed in batches to lessen the load on your server. Account activation, lost passwords and other vital emails are sent instantly regardless of this setting. If your site has low traffic, subscription emails may be delayed.

If you have a large site, you may wish to enable locking. This prevents a rare situation where the same email is sent multiple times.​

Also there is this option...

Enable "-f" Parameter {Set to NO}
Some sendmail servers may require the "-f" parameter to be sent with email calls from PHP. If you are having problems with users not receiving email, try enabling this option. In all likelihood, your problem will not be caused by this setting.​

See what happens as time passes. If necessary, I suppose we can use the "-f" parameter but I do not know the ramifications of it.

JP, I too had the same problem on the other board that Sharon had...never recv'd email notification. Send me an email and see if I am now notified. I DID have to allow my computer to download a file tho....I don't know what you have to do in AOL to do that. But I did get a message that I had to allow it.

Last edited:
I've been receiving email notifications all along without a problem. Remember this... if you are subscribed to a thread and you get an email, you will not get another email about that thread until you actually visit that forum. So if all you de is read the message in the email and don't go to the thread you won't get more emails.

I've been receiving email notifications all along without a problem. Remember this... if you are subscribed to a thread and you get an email, you will not get another email about that thread until you actually visit that forum. So if all you de is read the message in the email and don't go to the thread you won't get more emails.

That's common in the vBulletin forums I go to.

Does AOL have spam filters?

I know a lot of my emails will get caught in the spam net.

so i changed my AOL e-mail address that i have had from the start to another non-aol e-mail address and it worked. The ones to the aol address never even make it to the spam folder. aol must have the mark8 domain maked as spam.

Yes, it does, but it isn't in the spam.

Is the spam filter set to automatically trash spam or do you have to manually trash them? What about email blocks?

I don't mean to ask stupid questions but something tells me it's common to the AOL system and who knows how many others. If it was limited to the old board I would understand but it seems to be with the new board as well and my logical mind is in a tizzy over it.

so i changed my AOL e-mail address that i have had from the start to another non-aol e-mail address and it worked. The ones to the aol address never even make it to the spam folder. aol must have the mark8 domain maked as spam.

Thanks Steve.

Oh and welcome!
:)

I manually delete the spam. Steve, do you know how to get AOL to stop blocking it?

Sharon, how do you retreive your email? With an email program or from a web page. Can you sign up for a free email account at yahoo or hotmail or something and try using that one. My Father in Law has been having problems with email through AOL and I finally convinced him to get a proper email account and use a proper email program, he gets everything now.

I had a hotmail account for a while, it wasn't worth it - just more spam and one more thing to check every day.

Back