E-mail notifications

AOL & Spam

AOL & Spam

Sharon, from what I've heard, you cannot reset AOL's Spam controls. That's why most people graduate from AOL. Who is your ISP? Don't they have their own email system?

I understand that Yahoo's system is pretty good and you CAN set the Spam controls as you want them.

I wonder how many emails you are losing in AOL?

Do any of you techogeeks make any sense of this?

Technical Standards for E-mail Delivery

The following technical requirements apply to the delivery of Internet e-mail through AOL's e-mail network.

AOL's servers will not accept connections from unsecured systems. These include open relays, open proxies, open routers, or any other system that has been determined to be available for unauthorized use.

AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use dynamically assigned or residential IP addresses.
AOL will not deliver e-mail that contains a hex-encoded Universal Resource Locator (URL). (Ex: http://mn?/)
AOL's mail servers will reject connections from any IP address that does not have reverse DNS (a PTR record).

AOL may reject connections from servers whose recipient lists consistently generate a higher than 10% bounce failure rate. (i.e. over 10% of a sender's mailing list is destined for users that do not exist on our system)

AOL may reject connections from senders who are unable to accept at least 90% of the bounce-return messages (mailer-daemon failure/error messages) destined for their systems.

Complaints submitted by AOL members will be used as a basis for refusing connections from any mail server.

AOL may provide daily communications to postmaster@domainname and abuse@domainname (or @IP.address if no reverse-DNS or PTR records are present) to senders who may be in violation of AOL's guidelines.

America Online, Inc. ("AOL") does not authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer network ("the AOL Network") to accept, transmit or distribute unsolicited bulk e-mail sent from the Internet to AOL members. Details on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy can be found at http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.adp

Please Note: AOL uses member feedback to assist in the identification of the sources of Unsolicited Bulk E-mail.

I don't know what it means. I wrote to the tech support requesting that mark8.org be allowed to send me mail, but who knows what will happen.

Sharon, who (or what) is your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Is it AOL? Do you have dial up or cable system? If cable, who is it with? If someone like Comcast or simular, do they have an email system?

Yeah, I use AOL for e-mail and AIM, and I have Comcast cable. I'm sure they have a mail system, but I have no interest in obtaining more e-mail accounts. Too much of a hassle, too much spam. ;-)

However, if this is an AOL problem, it would be nice to solve it if possible as I'm sure a lot of people here use AOL as their e-mail.

Maybe they do (or did, like me) but they are leaving in droves. I used Comcast for about 3-4 years and I thought their mail system was head and shoulders above AOL's. AOL's was great for a beginner and for kids as it acts like "Big Daddy", but once I learned there was better out there, I was gone. I switched over to Verizon/Yahoo and Yahoo's is even better than Comcasts was before I left last year. You can actually SELECT your level of protection against spam....and either put it in a seperate folder or elect to not even see it...it's banished from even showing up. I left it in a viewable folder for a few months just to see what I wasn't let in and got so trusting of it, I just let it delete anything they consider spam.

Oh yeah, they do have a feature where you move your address book over to the new email and they notify everyone on your list of the change of your address. And as you have AIM, any that mistakenly send mail to your old AOL address, it shows up in your AIM account. Sorry for the long post, but I thing you needed to know.

Why not just get a new email for use with this board and be done with it? This email discussion is getting tiresome. Sharon has been told ad nauseum that her problems with the board are due to AOL and her browser/computer settings but still nothing gets done. What's the reason for this loyalty to AOL? I have the same problem with my Father in Law, all he does is complain about not getting his emails and yet he refuses to switch. AOL is a toy, it's a very poor email system.

Leo, are you insulting everyone here who has AOL? I have no interest in changing e-mail systems at the present time, especially just for this club and you. There's a fix for this. I posted it. I don't care if I get e-mails from here or not. But it is an issue. I am not the only one with AOL, and, as I have stated before "ad nauseum" that if I have a problem, chances are someone else will too. Tedious? Oh my Leo, just avoid looking at the thread. There is nothing wrong with my browser settings.

I have been noticing some e-mails have not been getting through. I guess we need to figure out how to fix this problem, because that means even new registrants can't get through.

AOL will not accept emails from domains that do not have reverse DNS setup. The first thing you need to do is ask your host to setup reverse DNS for your domain.

Perhaps Alexander and Dave can look into this?

More info...

1. Why does email sent to me not arrive?

In Brief

There are three commmon reasons why you might not be getting an email that someone is sending to you.

First, check your Mail Controls to make sure you are not blocking the person (or blocking everyone). If you are, the person trying to send you email should be receiving an error message saying that you are not accepting mail from them.

Second, check your Spam Folder to see if messages from your correspondent are being tagged by AOL as being junk email. If they are, try adding your correspondent to your Address Book so that future messages will be delivered straight to you.

Third, it's possible that AOL is blocking your correspondent's provider from sending mail because there have been complaints of abuse. Have your correspondent see AOL's Postmaster.Info: AOL Member FAQ for more information on how to make sure his messages get through. If this is the problem, he would be unable to get mail through to any AOL members -- not just you.

I'm sure you've checked your settings and Spam folder, but have you added the site email to your Address book? xxx@mark8.org?

contactus@mark8.org
bod@mark8.org
info@mark8.org
lodclub@prodigy.net
administration@mark8.org

I'm sure there are other addresses, I'll have to look.

Look here for More Info.

Last edited:
Mine stopped on Saturday. Then I had to ask for a password reset. Maybe things will start to flow again tomorrow.

AOL has actually become a real problem for many people, and if anyone is "insulted" by this well... odd. That's why they are losing so many clients. For the last few months they have been filtering out many emails for all sorts of reasons. Forward or relay an email to someone at AOL and half the time they don't get it.

Back