SPAMmer

Taurus90

Registered
Hi!
Could it be that there are spammers on this site?
Today got PM by a (new) member named herself Jeannette - with SPAM only.
Could you do something against such PM?
Thanks!

I think Mike's taken care of this.

If you ever get PM's which are SPAM or otherwise against our Rules of Conduct, please forward them to the moderator(s) and we will take care of it. This is the first I've heard of the spammers resorting to PM's. I hope it doesn't become common.

there is a hack that prevents anyone from sending pm's til they have, say 10-15 posts

there is a hack that prevents anyone from sending pm's til they have, say 10-15 posts

Hmmm. Maybe this is something we should discuss. If it's uncommon, I don't like the idea that someone who may come here looking for parts or something can't send someone a PM, but if we find that this is going to be more common place, it might be something to do.

Hmmm. Maybe this is something we should discuss. If it's uncommon, I don't like the idea that someone who may come here looking for parts or something can't send someone a PM, but if we find that this is going to be more common place, it might be something to do.

Maybe check if there is a setting or hack that requires the sender to enter a sequence of letters from a graphic (I forget what it's called.) If that doesn't discourage them then check out the post number restriction.

For registration we have that math question but nothing for sending PMs that I can see.

Yeah, but if they made it through the registration, they will make it through to send a PM too, won't they?:)

Yeah, but if they made it through the registration, they will make it through to send a PM too, won't they?:)

Sure but at least that will discourage heavy use, if a spammer needs to enter that info for each and every message he won't bother for too many, if at all. I think there is also a setting to restrict how many PMs can be sent in a period of time isn't there?

We have tons of spam, but this is the first instance of PM spamming that I'm aware of.

We have tons of spam, but this is the first instance of PM spamming that I'm aware of.

...and thanks to the diligent Moderators, we users see little of it. As a former mod, it's a continuing effort! Thanks, guys.....you too Sharon!! LOL

Back