ABS problem

D Day

Registered
Ok so when i first get into my car to drive to work i apply the brakes and the brakes pulse and clunk hard like if the abs system was kicking in but Im just applying the brakes normally in traffic. no abs light or message center error.

When i get on the freeway the abs light now turns on and the message center reads "check traction control" when i get off the freeway and start applying my brakes in normal traffic my brakes are now working perfectly!!! Other than the fact that the light and message center says different?

So brakes r now fine in traffic, but if I turn the car off to get a drink real quick or if I park it for a while, when i restart the car the issue starts all over again from the top!

98 LSC with cobra hub and brake swap. I did the swap about a year and a half ago with no previous issues.

Any ideas, sound familiar?
Thanks

Yep, typical ABS sensor failure. You have a 98 so pray it is not the "fronts". They are notoriously difficult to find since they only made them in 1998, you can't use any other year and the dealer no longer sells them.

thx guys!

Ok so how do i figure out if its the front or rears? i assume its one of the front ones since that's where i'm "feeling"????

Yep, typical ABS sensor failure. You have a 98 so pray it is not the "fronts". They are notoriously difficult to find since they only made them in 1998, you can't use any other year and the dealer no longer sells them.

Has anyone attempted to repair them? I would assume a cracked wire would be easy to fix...

thx guys!

Ok so how do i figure out if its the front or rears? i assume its one of the front ones since that's where i'm "feeling"????

There is a dedicated ABS computer and a Snap-On scanner is required to pull the codes. OBDII scanners can't do it.

It's too bad that OBDII cars need a scanner to read simple codes. You can read the ABS codes with a wire on an OBDI car.

Try to find a friend with a scanner, or someone that knows someone with access to one.

It's too bad that OBDII cars need a scanner to read simple codes. You can read the ABS codes with a wire on an OBDI car.

Try to find a friend with a scanner, or someone that knows someone with access to one.

Is that right? what is the procedure for that? I was told that it needs a separate scanner and I paid a local shop $50 to diagnose which sensor was faulty.

It's like the engine codes. Just jump the right wires on the diagnostic connector with a wire and count the flashes of the ABS light.

I'll dig up the pinout for the correct wires, but it's on the net somewhere.

Wasn't your car a 96? That's an OBDII so it wouldn't have worked on that.

The OBDI Mark is full of easy code reading and self diagnostics including:

Heater control
Power seats
Airbags (SRS system)
ABS
Alarm
Air suspension

yes i had two a 98 and a 96, both were OBD II. But I am positive that the 96 had a dedicated ABS port... pretty sure the 98 did too.

Strange times.

Strange times.

Hello, i have been a markiii owner for some time. This is the first time i have posted (just found the site!). I seem to be having a problem that even after a lot of searching i can not figure out.

(The proceeds are a long story so the bored or skimming have a good day :)

Story:

I went to Washington state for about 10 months or so. My Mark was at my place. A family members car breaks down I let them use my car while away; car breaks down. They take it to a shop (I am still in WA) .... Things become Hazy. I return to CA and see my Mark. I am told while i was gone that the breaks went out and they had to tow it to a shop to be replaced. Understand, i was in WA with my fiance and am not tracking every detail in another state.

They said the whole problem was that the airbags in the front were bad. I learned that it had sat there for over 5 months as they said "We just cant find the same airbags for it in stock.)((I know this not to be true I have called my local lincoln dealer and they have had them in stock for ages))

Sidenote: I checked the airbags when I got back home and they say "Lincoln Continental" on them so I know it is not right. I can not do much about it as the shop owner my family member took my car to is no longer in business (go figure).

So what i get;

1) I assume a messaging center problem as it always says low washer fluid (i know that one)

2) ABS and Traction control sometimes work, then not at all, just randomly.

3) The front airbags deflate overnight. It used to just run the batt to keep the car level.

If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them as i really want to keep the car. I have had it for some time but not as long as i want :)

1.) Low washer message is prob a bad sensor at the bottom of the washer fluid tank....we ALL have had them go bad.

2.) Prob brakes need bleeding by the dealer as it takes a special tool to open the ABS pump to bleed properly.

3.) Bad or WRONG bags/sensors. American Air Suspension has right ones.

Back