creaking noise from front right

calisonic

Registered
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/21.549; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

there is a loud creaking noise that comes from the front right wheel area that is heard when the breaks our first applied. it seems that it is caused by the suspension compression the little bit that it does and it is also heard when you release the brakes 2 accelerate and the suspension expands.

oddly it does not seem to do it when you simply go over a bump with that wheel. any ideas? Thanks.
I should also mention that I recently did all of the control arms and bushings up front. also I just did the air bags last week but it made this noise before I did those.

Last edited:
Have you tried backing up and applying the brakes? I had a similar issue and it ended up being that the strut rod bushings were not tight enough so the entire wheel assembly was moving back and forth. You could even see it move from the outside.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/21.549; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I will try the.backing up thing. Ball joints are new but.the noise is similar.

Did the backup thing and according to the witness both front whjeels were moving a little bit. So I guess I should just tighten the strut rods? Are those things supposed to get greased?

No greasing, just tighten the inside nut and it should fix the looseness and maybe your issue?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897/I897UCJH7 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Wont this mess up my caster?

Not your caster, but the front to rear alignment. Not sure what it's called.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897/I897UCJH7 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Guess ill be getting it aligned again. But it seems to have work... for now (eyes darting left and right)
Thanks folks.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/21.549; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Well its doing it again...

If it does it sitting still. Get yourself a stethoscope and use the hard tip on different parts of the suspension while someone turns the wheels and hits the brakes.

Only does it when moving unfortunately. Even if Its just a.few miles an hour.

awesome. reminds me of one of the ways to regain "health" points on GTA3. (among other things..)

awesome. reminds me of one of the ways to regain "health" points on GTA3. (among other things..)

HA, ya I thoght of that too.

Anyways upon closer inspection, it looks an awful lot like its the upper ball joint which came with the new UCA a few months ago and of course its one of the few things installed by a shop on my car, but with my own parts, Ill probably do it my self. Great waste of money. Never buy Autozone brand parts for this people.

Im gonna try just adding some grease to it first.

So I added grease to that ball joint and even greased everything on that caliper and now its noisier that it was before.

Oh man. Autozone can suck it! I loved when my starter went bad in the 5.0 so I went to get a new one. Tgat one tested good but would not work. So I changed a bunch of other crap thinking the starter was good and after two days of throwing parts at it. I took the starter back for a refund. He tested it again and it was good. I said test it under a load and he said we can't do that. So I grabbed a wood stick and had him test it while I forced the stick on the bendix. It failed. Then the next new one failed. And the next one. We went through 3 starters before one passed. Haha

Well the upper passenger side is creaking, the lower drivers boot is split. I am going to have to replace these already. Who is the preferred vendor on control arms? SCP BOC Rock Auto?

I think the latest trick is to look up the part number on RockAuto, then plug it into amazon to save a few bucks. (And if you have the Amazon "Prime" account, free 2-day shipping!)

Back