Installing lower knuckle bolts

beerdog

Registered
What is the trick to installing the lower front bolt on the rear knuckles? I just can't get the bolt head past the half shaft. Is the only option to grind down part of the bolt head?

I know it is possible because we did it on Sharon's car at Jeremi's 2nd meet a few years ago. I just don't remember what we did.

Last edited:
I've done it several times. Sometimes without a fight, most often with a struggle.

I can't describe it well, but you need to really flex the CV joint and only have the half-shaft partially(barely started) into the hub. This allows the bolt to clear when the joint is pushed up. Two people seems to help but I've done it alone as well.

All bolt heads to the rear.

Knuckle disconnected from upper control arm.

Half-shaft loosely in hub/knuckle, seated in differential.

Put in the lower rear bolt and nut loosely.

With the LCA down as far as it will go, push the axle in enough from the hub so that you can lift the outer CV joint up enough to insert the front bolt.

I figured there must be a very good reason for those special low profile headed bolts. I was thinking it had more to do with stregth and containing the suspension load. Interference makes more sense.

The manual says...

NOTE:
Due to the control arm design, the lower bolts must be installed with the Torx® heads facing the rear of the vehicle.

If you look carefully at the LCA, there is more room to the rear from the center which would allow room for the nut on the rearward bolt.

{Makes mental note to examine clearance more closely on next occasion.}

The front lower bolt on the passenger side of my 95 had its nut missing when I first bought my car. When I would accelerate hard, the car would steer right...it was strange. Actually, I had posted on here way back then (before the revamping and re-joining) and everyone thought it was the sway bar. After inspecting my brakes I noticed it was missing. I ended up die grinding the old bolt out and installing a Grade 8 bolt in the backwards position. Never had any clearance issues on the front bolt with a regular type bolt. :confused-red:

Back